Director of Environmental Excellence
- Full Time
The Organising Committee for the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games ("Paris 2024") is looking for a Director of Environmental Excellence to join the management team.
In compliance with the Host City Contract, signed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the City of Paris and the French National Olympic and Sports Committee (CNOSF), Paris 2024 is responsible for:
- Plan, organise, fund and deliver the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games, as well as associated events;
- Promote the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games in France and internationally;
- Participate in actions to ensure the sustainability of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Paris 2024;
- Contribute to maximise the positive impact and legacy of the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Under the direct authority of the President of the Organising Committee, the Director of Environmental Excellence ("DEE") is in charge of defining and delivering the Organising Committee’s strategy for environmental excellence in order to organise a responsible, exemplary and innovative Games.
Within the legacy and sustainability department, he/she has a cross-departmental responsibility aiming to integrate environmental excellence for:
- Business operation of the Organising Committee;
- Preparation and operational delivery of the event;
- Games legacy.
The Director of Environmental Excellence will be accountable for:
- Building a strategy based on the Paris 2024 environmental excellence defined during the bid;
- Updating the strategy, reinforcing it and instilling it into operational action plans and objectives that will be implemented in all departments;
- Creating indicators and assessment tools to verify the strategy’s performance, to adapt the objectives and action plans according to the obtained results;
- Adapting and developing the strategy to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the regulatory framework (ISO standards) or by new partnerships (NGOs, economic partners);
- Assisting the Chairman, the CEO, and the different departments of the Organising Committee to take into consideration environmental issues;
- Collaborating closely with the Resources division to integrate environmental issues in all the Organising Committee’s business operations (especially procurement);
- Collaborating closely with the Operations Department, in particular Venues and Infrastructure, and the Heritage Department to develop the best solutions to reduce the carbon footprint of the Games and maximise the legacy of the Paris 2024 Games;
- Collaborating closely with all directorates, and especially with the communication and branding departments, creativity and engagement, to promote environmental excellence among all Games audiences and help to change attitudes;
- Represent the Organising Committee on the topic with partners or during national and international events; and
- Establishing partnerships, building a network and mobilising the different communities to build support and engagement on the project.
- The DEE has to demonstrate exceptional and meaningful results to manage a sustainable development policy in a challenging, international and high-growth organization;
- Excellent " environmental knowledge" and masters corporate sustainable responsibility standards and regulations applicable for sustainable development / environment (ISO standards, Agenda 21, impact assessment) and best practices;
- Ability to manage cross disciplinary projects in a complex and demanding environment, and build strong relationships with numerous stakeholders (public authorities, private partners, NGOs, etc.);
- Detailed understanding of the national and international stakeholders;
- Ability to understand the issues of the Olympic and Paralympic Movement, and develop partnerships and relationships with main stakeholders;
- High fluency in English: work and negotiation; and
- Previous experience organising a large-scale event could be an asset, but is not a prerequisite to apply.
The candidate has to demonstrate the following managerial skills:
- Analytical and reasoning skills;
- Combine strategic thinking, rigorous implementation and change;
- Creativity and innovation to bring new ideas and projects;
- Management of ambiguity.
- Results and solutions orientated;
- Ability to make complicated things simple.
- High managerial skills to lead teams;
- Ability to mentor team;
- Writing and oral fluency with a strong ability to lead meetings;
- Excellent team development;
- Relational qualities and influencer;
- Team player and ability to collaborate with numerous stakeholders, both internally and externally;
- Ability to lead cross-functional projects, and work with numerous stakeholders (public authorities, private partners, NGOs, etc.);
- Expert negotiator with different stakeholders and lead meetings / events;
- Good listener and ability to analyse and understand expectations and specific needs of each and every one.
- Alignment with sport values;
- Diversity management.
Paris 2024 have officially appointed the services of Russell Reynolds to manage this vacancy for Director of Environmental Excellence. Applicants will be contacted directly by the agency.