Transport Group Leader - Bus Management
The Transport Group Leader - Bus Manager manages all bus operations in service area and ensures that a high quality of safe, on time and clean transportation service is rendered to FIFA Constituents. Communicates with other Q22 Transportation Managers to work as a team to ensure quality service. The successful candidate is expected to be a self-starter and multitasker who works well under pressure, and follows through on tasks.
The Transport Group Leader - Bus Manager is responsible for the following Event Transport sub-projects planning and implementation:
- FIFA Constituent Client Bus Systems operation
- VIK Bus Commissioning/Decommissioning
- Bus Procurement Strategy and management
- Bus and Fleet Depots
The Bus Management sub-project, led by the Transport Group Leader - Bus Manager, work closely with the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (SCDL) and FIFA, to deliver integrated Concept of Operation (Bus and Fleet) that provides critical operational support to Event Transport Project and contributes substantially to the legacy of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
The Transport Group Leader - Bus Manager is responsible to build, train and motivate the Bus Operation team of paid staff and volunteers for the duration of the FWC Qatar 2022 project.
- Directly responsible for cost effective and efficient bus operations.
- Directs, plans, budgets, and manages all Bus Operation activities.
- Directs the scheduling of daily transportation operations and ensures compliance with operating policies, regulations, labor agreement and work rules.
- Prepares reports on operational activities and incidents.
- Creates and maintains a consistent quality and Client focused team orientation among subordinate employees which supports the Bus Group’s mission.
- On twenty-four (24) hour basis, he/she will be required to respond and assume command during emergencies or major incidents.
- Ensures safe, on time performance, and responds to interruptions or delays in bus operations.
- Ensures timely performance and restoration of service when delays occur by creating alternate routes, setting up shuttles and dispersing supervisors to problem areas.
- Travels to accident sites and emergencies to manage the bus service personnel and operations.
- Works to prevent accidents and reduce injuries by: observing and identifying problem areas, performing safety audits, investigating incidents, enforcing safety regulations and recommending corrective actions.
- Observes and evaluates the performance of operating staff and service supervisors in the field for compliance with policies and attainment of performance indicators in a variety of ways (i.e., direct observation, riding buses, standing on street, etc.). Identifies and responds to performance deviations and determines course of action to correct problems, including progressive disciplinary actions and recommendations for additional training.
- Investigates violations of rules, regulations, and operating procedures by operating and supervisory personnel to determine appropriate corrective action to decrease volume of complaints. Observes operations and recommends service improvements to maintain and increase ridership. Responsible for efficient daily service by ensuring that vehicles are clean and safe. Strives to ensure optimum customer service.
- Designs and implements Bus Operation Plan across Qatar 2022, to service all FIFA Constituent Groups, based on FIFA requirements and agreed service levels including but not limited to:
- World Cup Tournament
- Final Draw
- Test Events
- Team and Referees Workshops
- Other site events
- Designs of required Bus Operation policies and procedures
- Integrates with Transport Client Services and Fleet / Bus Operations functions within Event Transport
- Coordinates with Meet & Greet companies regarding Guests arrivals and departures services
- Ensures integration of Bus Operations into Overall Transportation Plan, as well as correlation with all other Transport services and operations
- Implements Project Management within Bus management
- Identifies key milestones of Bus Operation sub-project
- Identifies key risks of Bus Operation sub-project
- Content preparation (slides, handouts, etc.) and preparation of reports for the FWC-related management meetings and working meetings
- Presenting information in a focused, clear and concise manner
- Recruiting Bus Operation Team, assigning responsibilities and managing the Team from planning through delivery
- Overseeing training of staff and contractors, if applicable, to ensure Bus Services are delivered according to the Plan
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation or business administration, or a combination of education and experience relating to position.
- Minimum of 10 years Transport work experience: ideally within the football, sport, event or Five (5) years of experience as a Bus Operator, Bus Service Supervisor or Bus Instructor, or five (5) years equivalent management position.
- Experience in conflict resolution and customer service.
- Experience in interviewing employees regarding accidents, complaints, grievances and disciplinary actions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Required to maintain current Bus Safety Training certification.
- Required to maintain current Operating Certification.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from support staff, managers, and clients. Individual must be motivated, capable of working independently, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Transport or Bus operation experience within at least one mega project event, ideally more than one world class sport event (e.g. FIFA World Cup and/or Olympic Games, Regional Football Tournaments, etc.)
- Experience working with public and private sector partners in a collaborative environment and ability to build strong partnerships
- Bus and Fleet Operations incl. Depot Management, Drivers rostering and dispatch
- Basic knowledge of transit operations involved in moving FIFA Constituents by bus, including city layout.
- Intermediate knowledge of administration and management principles.
- Advanced knowledge of customer and personal service principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of business process management.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to prioritize customer’s needs, authority requirements, and FIFA/Q22 regulations.
- Advanced skill in conflict resolution.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Advanced communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and lead a team
- Exceptional planning, organisational and administrative skills
- Ability to work and communicate in a corporate and project focused organisation
- High level of presentation and negotiating skills
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility when faced with ambiguity or constant change
- Positive attitude, patience and persistence
- Inter-cultural competence and sensitivity
- Language skills - English language fluency and any additional language considered an advantage
- Strong IT skills; familiarity and comfort with MS Office (especially MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, Project)