Technical Services Manager
This is a senior and coordinating role within the local entity responsible for overseeing the planning for and the successful operation of the FIFA World Cup 2022.
The Technical Services Manager will work with the Senior Manager and alongside the FIFA technical service and infrastructure team (which is based in Zurich) to plan, oversee the operation of technical services, and overlay at FIFA World Cup 2022 official sites. You will provide expert functional knowledge, experience and technical leadership on key delivery areas.
You will interpret FIFA infrastructure requirements in the specific context of Qatar, develop detailed implementation strategies with Host Country counterparts, and oversee their successful delivery. You will work extensively with host country organizers who hold budgetary and contracting responsibility for permanent infrastructure and overlay delivery.
The Technical Services Manager will oversee and monitor the planning and delivery some or all of the following, as part of a small team. Therefore in-depth knowledge and experience of the planning/design, set-up and operational of several of the following areas is sought:
- Temporary overlay structures: tents, modular buildings, containers, platforms, bridges, fences
- Temporary Broadcast and Venue Power
- Pitch floodlighting
- Alteration and modification works to stadiums and other legacy facilities
- Overlay hydraulics and plumbing
- Civil works, ground preparation and protection
- Specialist broadcast and media installations
- Event hospitality, catering and retail installations
- Temporary infrastructure supporting security installations
- Audio-visual and entertainment systems
As a senior events professional, the Technical Services Manager will also support other and discrete projects within the Technical Services Team’s remit, such as: cabling/containment pathway development and delivery, cleaning and waste management, FIFA/Q22 Maps and Drawings, training sites infrastructure planning, FIFA Fan Fests.
FIFA official sites under the responsibility of this role include: stadiums, training sites, the Main Media Centre, centralized facilities for volunteers / ticketing and others, major draws, official hotels, HQ’s and other tournament-critical non-competition sites as required.
- Scoping, specification and planning for the operation of integrated temporary and permanent/legacy infrastructure services in stadiums and other FIFA official sites for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
- Provide expert technical leadership in relation to technical services and overlay, particularly temporary overlay structures, or event power systems.
- Oversee the complete lifecycle of the Technical Services and Overlay projects, ensuring that FIFA requirements and the event’s best interests are met.
- Ensure that technical and infrastructure requirements are collected, clearly communicated to, and implemented by the organization(s) responsible for delivery.
- Act as a liaison between representatives of the Host Country, the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (holding direct contracting and delivery responsibility for infrastructure), the FIFA Stadium and Infrastructure Department, and with Qatar 2022 or FIFA Functional Area representatives in relation to their infrastructure needs.
- Facilitate and assist Host Country authorities in interpreting of FIFA requirements, with the aim of finding high quality, appropriate, and sustainable solutions.
- Guide or manage the contractors and partner organizations directly delivering infrastructure services for the FIFA World Cup.
- Assessment of the sufficiency and acceptability of infrastructure solutions proposed by Host Country, and those ultimately delivered by their contractors, with or on behalf of FIFA.
- Oversee the successful operation of infrastructure and technical services, during the FIFA World Cup operational period, all preceding events and test events.
- Effectively manage resources for successful project delivery.
- Support site-based venue technical services managers during installation and operations periods, including issue response and resolution, occasional venue relief/rotation shifts, and central coordination activities from HQ.
- Monitor technical services operations during tournament operational periods, including collection and processing of operational/performance/consumption data on behalf of FIFA.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field, or trade qualifications combined with extensive practical experience gained in applied technical roles (e.g. event/stage technician, electrician, rigger) required
- Project management qualifications preferred.
- Delivery experience of technical services discipline(s), preferably at multiple/varied international football tournaments and/or major events, encompassing operational planning, design, build/installation, and operations.
- Managerial experience in the planning, specification, design and delivery of technical services infrastructure at international football tournament(s) and/or major international sporting event(s)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in technical planning, and project or programme management, including dealing with a large number of internal/external stakeholders
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience in technical roles, specifically including experience in technical roles at major international sporting event with required (Power, Overlay, Broadcast, Technology).
- Experienced in the development and analysis of technical drawings and designs.
- Extensive stakeholder management experience at all levels, ideally including interaction with government authorities, utilities companies/authorities, statutory authorities such as building control / building assessors / electrical regulators.
- Direct experience of working in both a professional corporate-style office environment, and in a busy site (installation/construction) environment required.
- Experienced and capable working in an environment of rapid change, sometimes under intense pressure. Handles stress well individually, and is able to support subordinates and colleagues in such an environment.
- Comfortable working in a multicultural and international environment.
Languages and Skills
- English fluency – spoken and written, required. Confident communicator.
- Advanced skills in MS Office required (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio & Project)
- Familiarity reading and interpreting, and contributing to the development of technical design drawings.
- Familiarity with planning software and online collaboration tools
- Technical drawing skills an advantage (Autocad, Revit)