Sustainable Procurement Manager
FIFA and the Qatar LOC has created a new Joint Venture, which will be responsible for the operational delivery of the FIFA World Cup 2022™.
The Sustainable Procurement Manager is responsible for supporting the overall implementation of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Sustainability Policy and Strategy and the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 LLC (Q22) Sustainability Project, with a particular focus on sustainable procurement.
- Coordinate, support and advice the implementation of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Sustainable Sourcing Code and sustainable procurement practices across tournament organisers. This includes working closely with FIFA Sustainability & Diversity staff based in Zurich and relevant project teams within Q22 and the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy.
- Apply leading sustainable procurement practices in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ supply chains managed directly by Q22, working across functional areas and projects, to protect people’s rights and well-being, reduce negative environmental impacts and promote economic development. In particular, this will include but will not limited to:
- Promoting decent working and living conditions and fair recruitment for workers in FIFA World Cup 2022™ supply chains.
- Products and services procured do not discriminate against its intended users (e.g.: disabled people, people of different cultures, people with different levels of IT usability).
- Strengthening local and regional value chains and business development.
- Appropriate management of environmental issues along the supply chain, particularly focusing on GHG and other air emissions, waste and water management, biodiversity conservation and use of chemicals.
- Appropriate business conduct and transparency along the supply chain, according to all relevant legislation and international best practice.
- Work with Q22 internal functions (e.g. procurement, requesting teams, evaluation teams, legal etc.) and external parties (suppliers, auditors, etc.) to:
- Identify sustainability risks associated with categories of supply.
- Integrate relevant sustainability requirements in Request for Proposals (RFP) and tenders.
- Participate in the technical evaluation of proposals against sustainability criteria.
- Integrate sustainability requirements in supplier agreements and contracts.
- Monitor, measure and analyse performance across requirements and maintain accurate, complete, up-to-date and accessible information records.
- Engage with suppliers to ensure contract terms and conditions as well as the requirements of the Sustainable Sourcing Code are fulfilled.
- Engage with third parties, e.g. suppliers and auditors, to oversee the coordination and implementation of corrective actions where needed.
- Engage with relevant local, regional and international stakeholders to exchange knowledge with the ultimate ambition to leave a positive legacy regarding best practice sustainable procurement activities in sporting events and beyond.
- Ensure the implementation of an effective sustainable procurement management system together with departments responsible for procurement, and its integration into the overall procurement system, in line with the requirements of ISO 20400 Sustainable Procurement. This will include the development and implementation of operational processes and tools to support supply chain management, capacity building and engagement of internal and external stakeholders, monitoring and evaluation of supply chain sustainability performance, reporting and knowledge transfer.
- Together with the rest of the sustainability team, support the maintenance of an effective sustainability management system for the tournament in line with the requirements of ISO 20121.
Qualifications and experience
- A deep passion for sustainability, driven to leveraging the unique value of mega-sporting events to contribute to sustainable development goals and the protection and promotion of responsible business practices in global supply chains;
- University studies with a focus on procurement, logistics, supply chain and contract management and/or sustainable development, business or international studies;
- 5 years of work experience in developing, implementing and overseeing sustainable procurement policies and processes;
- Experience of working in dynamic, fast-moving, complex, fixed timeline, multi-stakeholder environments;
- Proven track record of leading teams and generating productive stakeholder relationships that successfully deliver sustainability/procurement outcomes;
- Proficiency in written and verbal English communication; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project) and conducting internet-based research.
Candidates with experience in the following areas will have an advantage:
- In-depth knowledge of sustainability (human rights, environment, business ethics etc.) issues, particularly related to international supply chains;
- Management of complex, multi-tier, global supply chains;
- Technical knowledge of international supply chain management tools, e.g. Sedex;
- Development and delivery of capacity-building programmes for internal and external stakeholders;
- Sustainability performance management, reporting and communications;
- Work experience in sports and/or events;
- International work experience;
- Proficiency in written and verbal Arabic communication; and
- Proficiency in widely-used procurement software.
Unique knowledge and skills:
- Quick learner with ability to grasp complex structures, projects and relationships in a short timeframe;
- Self-motivated, extremely well organised, proactive and accurate;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to transform complex sets of information into digestible knowledge for people who do not work with procurement and sustainability;
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written);
- Strong relationship building and conflict resolution skills;
- Capacity for interacting with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds; and
- Knowledge of worldwide socio-political and sustainability issues;
- Planning software and online collaboration tools (an asset).