Sport Management MBA
The MBA in sport management is designed for professionals who would like to strengthen their strategic decision-making skills and advance their career within the sport industry.
The Sport Management MBA is focused on economic models, analytics, sport venue management and sport marketing. The program seeks to develop forward-thinking and innovative professionals.
Students in this program will be able to:
- Gain an understanding of the various aspects of sport marketing: market research, promotions, advertising, digital marketing, public relations and sport marketing strategy.
- Apply data analysis to make both functional and strategic decisions within the sports industry.
- Apply economics to better understand sport markets: demand, supply and pricing, league organization, monopoly power and market failure, labor market problems and remedies, public finance of sports and labor.
Plunkett Research estimated the U.S. sport business industry is worth $540 billion in 2018 and the global sport business industry is worth $1.3 trillion, with substantial growth anticipated in the coming years. Job titles of master’s-prepared sport managers include:
- Market Research Analyst
- Recreation/Tourism Executive
- Sports Promoter
- Athletic Administrator
- Sales Manager
- Event/Convention Planner
The sport management MBA allows students to choose a start term (fall, spring or summer), the pace of the program and how to participate with three options for attending classes: traditional in-person, live online or by watching a recording. All three of these options can be intermixed throughout the program based upon the most convenient option for your schedule.
The sport management MBA specialization combines powerful coursework on various facets of the sport industry with a sequence of classes designed to enhance your leadership capabilities and business knowledge.
Classes do not need to be taken in the sequence below; your advisor can help you select and register for courses throughout the program.
REQUIRED COURSES FOR SPORT MANAGEMENT MBA:
- MGT 501 - Systems Management & Organizational Theory, 3 credit hours
- MGT 509 - Organizational Leadership, 3 credit hours
- SPM 511 - Sport Marketing, 3 credit hours
- BUS 526 - Operations Analysis Models, 3 credit hours
- ACC 548 - Accounting for Business Decisions, 3 credit hours
- FNC 548 - Financial Management I, 3 credit hours
- SPM 550 - The Economics of Sport, 3 credit hours
- BUS 670 - Strategic Management, 3 credit hours
SPORT MANAGEMENT SPECIALIZATION:
- SPM 510 - The Business of Sport, 3 credit hours
- SPM 512 - Sport Venue & Event Operations, 3 credit hours
- SPM 551 - Sport Analytics & Strategy, 3 credit hours