Senior Veterinary Surgeon, Conghua Training Centre
The Hong Kong Jockey Club opened a purpose-built Thoroughbred training centre at Conghua in Guangdong Province, South China in August 2018. The centre is equipped with state-of-the-art racehorse training facilities and is located in beautiful surrounding countryside. The population of horses stabled at the centre is steadily increasing and it will accommodate approximately 1,400 horses when full. Horses shuttle to-and-from to Hong Kong to race and racing carnivals will be held annually at the Conghua Racecourse.
The Conghua Racecourse (CRC) includes a world-class vet hospital that is staffed by a team of veterinarians and five veterinary technicians supported by a dedicated pharmacy, clinical laboratory and administrative unit. In addition there is a new Rehabilitation Unit which offers extensive support therapies. The CRC veterinary team is part of our Department of Veterinary Clinical Services and veterinarians based in Hong Kong will spend time at CRC on a regular rotating basis and vice versa in order to provide veterinary services for routine and emergency duties as well as on race days.
We are looking for a seasoned equine clinician with experience in Thoroughbred racing to join our team at CRC in a leadership role. Ideally you should be a qualified surgeon or at least have undergone formal training in surgery with a view to providing emergency surgical cover. (Ref: 20000243)
- You will report to the Head of Veterinary Clinical Services (HVCS) and the Business Manager of the Conghua Training Centre.
- You will provide senior clinical leadership and veterinary support and be responsible for assisting with some key management functions of the CRC veterinary team including:
- Assisting with supervision of staff within the equine hospital to ensure high quality professional services through compliance with Departmental policies and protocols.
- Assisting HVCS with recruitment, performance management, training and compliance with legislation.
You should have:
- A degree recognized by the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Hong Kong
- At least 7 years’ experience with good understanding of Thoroughbred racehorse practice
- Passion for teamwork and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Enthusiasm for clinical practice and for developing junior staff
- A post-graduate qualification in equine surgery is an advantage
Terms of Employment
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A three year contract of employment will be offered to the successful candidate. You will be based at the Conghua Training Centre although you will undergo a period of familiarization in Hong Kong at the start and you may be required to spend short intervals in Hong Kong throughout your contract.
Closing date for applications is 30 November 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
You are welcome to contact Dr. Paul Robinson
How to apply
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary and job reference to the Human Resources Department