Senior Project Manager - Queens Baton Relay
Birmingham 2022 is looking for a Queens Baton Relay Senior Project Manager, who will be a key member of the team and will support the Head of Queen's Baton Relay to ensure the successful delivery of this flagship Birmingham 2022 programme; working across our partners to maximise opportunities to deliver the mission of Games through the QBR. The postholder will be an experienced project manager, used to working in a complex project environment; a creative thinker with excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to support a team to steer a complex project through to delivery.
The first Queen's Baton Relay took place in 1958 in Cardiff and since then has become a tradition and curtain raiser unique to the Commonwealth Games. The Baton will journey around Commonwealth nations and territories; containing a message from Her Majesty the Queen to the athletes, to be read aloud at the Opening Ceremony to mark the start of the Games.
This role will be a key senior figure in the Queen's Baton Relay team, supporting the Head of Queen's Baton Relay with overall project management of the Relay, managing complex stakeholders and collaborating with our partners to deliver major moments in the build-up to the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 2022.
- As a senior member of the team, this role will support rapid decision-making across the business to advance programme delivery and maintain progress.
- Maintain programme plans and reports to ensure QBR activity is delivered to the agreed programme milestones across operations and engagement
- Work with the team to identify risks and issues, finding resolutions and mitigating any impact on the delivery of the QBR.
Queens Baton Relay Planning and Delivery:
- Work with Commonwealth Games Associations across the UK regarding planning for the UK elements of the relay.
- Management of the route selection process in line with expectations,
- parameters, logistics and political considerations.
- Oversee the establishment of Local Authority Working Groups.
- Liaise with all internal and external stakeholders and partners as required, including West Midlands Police and Local Authorities
- Work with Senior Operations Manager to identify, procure and manage key operational requirements, such as fleet and other key logistics.
- Manage the Advance Management and Batonbearer Operations teams, responsible for the route operations and Batonbearer programmes.
Skills & Experience Required
- Relevant industry experience, working in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience in managing projects with numerous moving parts, delivering to agreed timelines and budgets.
- Experience in working on youth-centred projects, campaigns or activities.
- Proven effectiveness in delivering high-impact public-facing projects /activity.
- Experience in managing teams and budgets.
The post will specifically lead on the delivery of the UK elements of the Queen's Baton Relay, so we would welcome applications from candidates with experience of working with Local Authorities, Safety Advisory Groups and Emergency Services across the UK, particularly in relation to events taking place on the highway.
The successful candidate should have prior operational experience of delivering complex programmes or events, with multiple stakeholders.
This position is subject to a Basic criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer and we encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities. We are working towards achieving Leaders in Diversity through the National Centre for Diversity. The principles "FREDIE" (Fairness - Respect - Equality - Diversity - Inclusion and Engagement) support our aim of delivering a truly inclusive and accessible games.
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. If you wish for your application to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme, please submit a completed form with your application, which can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.
To apply for this role please follow the link and complete the application attaching a single document containing your CV and Covering Letter. Please also submit your disability confident/ reasonable adjustments form (if required).
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
We take your data privacy seriously. Before sending your application please review our applicant privacy notice which explains how we use your personal data. This can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.