Senior Media Counsel
Senior Media Counsel provide commercial legal and business affairs advice to support, develop and implement the IOC’s digital strategy including in relation to the commercial aspects of the Olympic Channel.
We are looking for someone with excellent knowledge of direct-to-consumer propositions, fan engagement strategies, digital content creation, distribution and exploitation, and in-depth knowledge and experience of new media rights management and business models.
Department: IOC Television & Marketing Services SA
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
Contract Type: Open-ended
Activity Level: 100%
Entry Date: As soon as possible
Provide commercial legal and business affairs advice to support, develop and implement the IOC’s digital strategy including in relation to the commercial aspects of the Olympic Channel
- Serve as the subject matter expert and work closely and collaboratively with the IOC business teams, including TMS and Digital Engagement, in providing counsel and advice on all areas of digital media, direct-to-consumer propositions, OTT services, eSports and other online content and engagement activities.
- Manage legal and business affairs advice on the IOC’s digital strategy across all teams, including digital engagement, fan acquisition, integrated and direct marketing, audience development and distribution.
- Advise on strategy, structuring a deal, drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to digital distribution on a worldwide basis, including connected devices, OTT services, embeddable video players and social media platforms
- Provide expertise in relation to the commercialisation of digital distribution channels, including the commercialisation of data.
- Advise on strategy, structuring, drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to production of localised content and the localisation of media platforms and distribution strategies, in particular in relation to the Olympic Channel.
- Advise on media strategy for all agreements with the Olympic Movement, such as Organising Committees for the Olympic Games, National Olympic Committees, International Federations and TOP Partners.
Training and competences
- At least 8 years experience as a commercial lawyer (preferably in a broadcaster or media organisation, and/or a top media law firm). Exceptional candidates with a highly-relevant practice but less experience may be considered.
- Excellent drafting skills in English (drafting skills in French would be an asset).
- Very high level of commercial awareness and interest in legal, commercial and technological developments and trends in all forms of traditional and digital media.
- Significant experience in digital media.
- Demonstrable experience of working on content partnerships.
- Excellent knowledge of direct-to-consumer propositions, fan engagement strategies, digital content creation, distribution and exploitation, and in-depth knowledge and experience of new media rights management and business models.
- Good knowledge of relevant intellectual property laws and media regulations.
- University law degree or equivalent.
- Qualified lawyer admitted to practice law in his/her jurisdiction (combination of civil and common law experience is a plus).
- Able to work analytically, rationally and quickly, able to prioritise and work on several projects at the same time.
The International Olympic Committee is a not-for-profit independent organisation committed to building a better world through sport. By joining us, you become part of the Olympic Movement. You will have the opportunity to work in an international and flexible environment with people of more than 50 nationalities.