Senior Legal Counsel
Festival 2022 is a major UK-wide festival of creativity and innovation, backed by £120million of new investment. We are currently recruiting for a Senior Legal Counsel for the new special purpose vehicle, created to deliver Festival 2022.
The Festival will take place across England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales throughout 2022. It will deliver a programme of ground-breaking large-scale new commissions with the ambition of reaching millions; achieving the projects two objectives of bringing people together and promoting the UK's creativity to the world.
The Senior Legal Counsel will support across both the Festival 2022 team and the Ceremonies, Culture & Queen's Baton Relay (CCQ) division of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC). The individual will provide day-to-day legal input and support across a range of creative projects from artistic commissioning to preparing a range of commercial contracts.
This successful candidate would be employed by Festival 2022 Ltd and work as part of a team based in Birmingham to curate, manage and promote both projects. As a new business entity, nested within the OC, the successful candidate will work with OC's Chief Legal Officer and the Director of Ceremonies, Culture & Queen's Baton Relay to oversee all legal matters for the projects.
* Provide legal and contractual support to Festival 2022 and the Ceremonies, Culture & Queen's Baton Relay division of the OC.
* Draft and negotiate a high volume of commercial and creative contracts; advising on key contract terms, contract management and contract compliance.
* Advise on the commissioning of new artworks and creative output, ensuring appropriate contractual terms are agreed with artists and creatives.
* Provide general advice on intellectual property rights.
* Advise on legal issues including disputes, legislation, compliance, governance and related matters at various internal and external forums in relation to Festival 2022.
* Prepare relevant legal documentation for tenders issued by Festival 2022 and/or the OC, and advising on public procurement law and its application to the procurement process.
* Support lead organisations contracted by Festival 2022 or the OC with sub-contracting arrangements, maintaining oversight and assurance.
* Provide legal training to Festival 2022 employees on the impact of legal policies, procedures, legislation and contractual arrangements.
* Advise Festival 2022 on Freedom of Information legislation and process and manage the responses to any such queries in coordination with the OC process.
* Oversee compliance with protocols agreed with UK Government and delivery partners for Festival 2022.
* Draft and review all Festival 2022 policies and advising on the application of those policies.
* Qualified Solicitor in the UK with current practising certificate
* Demonstrable experience of working in a senior legal role
* Excellent working knowledge of the application of legal advice in a creative commissioning or artistic context
* Proven experience in providing quality legal advice, drafting, negotiating and managing contracts
* Knowledge of public procurement and experience working under the relevant procurement regulations
* Ability to balance legal risk and exposure with a practical and pragmatic mindset
* Accurate legal drafting skills with attention to detail and resolution based legal thinking
* Proven track record in sector development and capacity building in creative organisations
* Understanding of complex commissioning agreements involving the creation significant new intellectual property
* Previous experience of working with UK Government or a Devolved Administration
* Knowledge and experience in company governance
This position is subject to a Basic criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Festival 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities.
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. For more information or to download a guaranteed interview scheme form to include with your application please see the B2022 Get Involved/jobs page on the B2022 website.
To apply for this role, submit your CV and covering letter detailing how your skills and experience match our requirements, along with the Disability Confident form (if applicable).
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
We take your data privacy seriously. Before sending your application please review our applicant privacy notice which explains how we use your personal data. (Please see the B2022 Get Involved/Jobs page on the B2022 website to download the applicant privacy notice.)