Senior Jumping Trainer
Our Equestrian Affairs Department aims to fulfil the Club’s vision to promote riding as a sport and raise participation at all levels, from beginner through to elite. It oversees the management of four equestrian centres, including the Member’s facility at the Beas River Country Club and three public riding schools at Tuen Mun, Pok Fu Lam and Lei Yue Mun. The Beas River Equestrian Centre (BREC), being the largest in Hong Kong, houses 250 horses and provides world class facilities including a riding school, livery yard, competition centre, rehabilitation and retraining unit (RTU), as well as a spelling unit for Hong Kong’s racehorses.
- be based in BREC and be reporting to Chief Riding Instructor (CRI);
- provide leadership and guidance for the development of show jumping in Hong Kong, working with the Executive Manager, Equestrian Affairs (EMEA) to develop programmes to encourage participation in jumping in Hong Kong;
- provide specialist jumping coaching to all levels of riders (on the flat and over fences);
- schooling of members’ and Clubs’ horses as requested by the CRI;
- work closely with staff of the RTU to assist in the retraining of retired racehorses, select horses and actively assist in their production for jumping use, with a view to developing a wider pool of competition horses for Hong Kong and Hong Kong riders;
- work with other discipline trainers and RTU Officer to devise effective fitness and retraining programmes for retired racehorses;
- work with the EMEA, the Performance Manager and fellow discipline coaches to develop and execute youth programmes to develop talented young riders. As required, travel with Hong Kong representatives participating in international competitions, offering necessary coaching support;
- act as the Senior Jumping Trainer and assist in regular performance management assessments and competition planning for the National Youth Squad. May also be a consultant / coach to the Equestrian Federation as required;
- coach staff to improve knowledge and skill of schooling horses on the flat and over fences and prepare them to participate in monthly competitions and annual BHS exams;
- act as a member of the Show Committee, actively contribute to the management of horse shows, focusing on developing competitive opportunities for all levels in jumping;
- work with the Administrative team to maintain accurate and efficient records to ensure effective monitoring of lessons and billing to clients, horse training and utilization records, competition and fittening programmes for school and livery horses;
- ensure OSH policies are adhered to and safe practices are instilled in work at all times;
- perform any other tasks as assigned by management.
- be an experienced jumping rider who has competed to at least 1.40m level and an experienced jumping coach, ideally with relevant equestrian coaching qualifications (BHS Instructor certificate / Level 3 Coaching qualification or equivalent);
- have passion for developing equestrian sports;
- be flexible and experienced at coaching riders of all ages and all levels;
- have expert knowledge of training methods for schooling a variety of horses under saddle and from the ground; experience of working with thoroughbreds would be advantageous;
- preferably be a qualified course builder;
- preferably be a fluent speaker of English; good understanding of Cantonese will be an advantage;
- have good communication and interpersonal skills;
- have knowledge of child protection and safeguarding protocols;
- be customer centric with a positive and flexible approach and political sensitivity in handling external stakeholders (e.g. members and clients).
Terms of Employment
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Contract employment will be offered to the successful candidate. Contract renewal will be subject to mutual agreement between the Club and the individual.
Closing date for applications is 22 November 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
How to apply
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary