Senior Full Stack Developer
Impact, on and off the pitch
- This is a development role in The FA's Digital Technology division that is responsible for leading all development activities in a nominated product area, including setting standards and implementing quality processes
- This role will be aligned to our WIN product line which is responsible for delivering digital solutions for our England national teams.
About the Team
Technology is key to the FA's transformation. From supporting grassroots via our day-to-day digital presence, to using data-led insights to drive the game - to developing future-focused platforms for professional football - our Digital Technology team is central to our future.
What will you be doing?
- Work within an established technology stack (hosted on the Google Cloud Platform) to develop and maintain the application suite
- Ensure that code meets required standards and actively participate in peer code reviews
- Monitor changes to the existing code base to ensure the robustness of software applications.
- Break down requirements into explicit tasks and provide estimates, in collaboration with the Delivery Manager, Product Owner, and Solution Architect.
- Proactively contribute to Agile (Scrum) Ceremonies to ensure that development activities may be planned and managed accordingly
- Work alone and with colleagues to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve software bugs
- Stay up to date with the latest technology advancements; proactively share knowledge and best practice with colleagues
- Work with colleagues to ensure the right information security measures and user authentication is implemented
- Executes additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
- As part of The FA's commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone in football, every employee will be required to complete a DBS check. The level of the check required will be based on the activity of the specific job role and in line with legislation and government guidance.
What are we looking for?
Essential for the role:
- Significant full stack development experience
- Experience with Node.JS, React/Redux, TypeScript
- Experience with Database architecture (T-SQL, BigQuery, mySQL)
- Proficiency with Cloud Platforms (preferably GCP)
- Responsive design for use on different devices
- Working knowledge of Agile/Scrum
- Query Languages and use of libraries
- Strong communication and teamworkskills
- Excellent problem solving
Beneficial to have:
- Passion for football
- Building multi-media supporting systems
- Java / Gradle / Hibernate
- Devops / Cloud Build / Pub-Sub
- Data design skills:
- Storage and retrieval of media both within and external to a Cloud environment.
- Designing schemas for relational database systems.
What's in it for you?
We are committed to ensuring everyone can flourish in their roles, to achieve this we have unique office spaces under the arch of the iconic Wembley National Stadium, which is the home of English Football. We are also delighted to offer a world-class, Elite Performance Centre, St. George's Park in Staffordshire which is an exceptional setting to develop and inspire high-performing England teams and leaders.
We pride ourselves in offering a competitive salary as well as great opportunities to develop and grow in your role. But that is not all; we also have a range of exciting benefits, some of which can be found below:
- Access to event day tickets at Wembley Stadium, alongside a host of regular internal events throughout the season encouraging you to connect and learn with your colleagues and look after your mental health and wellbeing.
- Free, nutritious lunches, at Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park.
- Free private medical cover.
- A contributory pension scheme.
- An additional Thank You days leave, volunteering days as well as 25 days annual leave.
- A hybrid working model offering flexibility on where you work.
For more information on what it is like to work at The FA, please visit our FA Careers page, https://www.thefa.com/about-football-association/careers
The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and generates significant revenue to support investment into English football each year.
The FA oversees England international teams across men's, women's, youth and disability football, as well as running the National League System and FA Competitions including the Emirates FA Cup, Barclays FA Women's Super League, FA Women's Championship, and Vitality Women's FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
We currently work within a hybrid working model whereby the expectation is to work from your contractual location for part of the week, and as and when required by the team. The remaining days can be worked remotely. We will continue to monitor this model and it may be adjusted in future if deemed necessary.
Your contract with The FA will specify a fixed location of either Wembley Stadium, St. George's Park or our Processing Centre, unless the role is advertised as a homebased contract. The contractual location of this role can be found at the top of this advert on our FA vacancy page.
The FA, For All, For You
Our equality, diversity and inclusion strategy forms an integral part of our long-term commitment to using our influence across English football to create a game free from discrimination.
A Game For All outlines three key strategic commitments - Lead the Change, Be the Change, and Inspire the Change - which will ensure tackling discrimination remains a core priority for English football for years to come.
We are a diverse workplace, aspiring to represent football across the country. The Football Association actively promotes inclusion and diversity, encouraging you to be the best version of yourself at work.
We welcome applications from everyone and are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process, please mention this during your application.
As part of The FA's commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone in football, every employee will be required to complete a DBS check. The level of the check required will be based on the activity of the specific job role and in line with legislation and government guidance.