The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and generates significant revenue to support investment into English football each year.
The FA oversees England international teams across men's, women's, youth and disability football, as well as running the National League System and FA Competitions including the Emirates FA Cup, Barclays FA Women's Super League, FA Women's Championship, and Vitality Women's FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET
Technology is key to the FA's transformation. From supporting grassroots via our day-to-day digital presence, to using data-led insights to drive the game - to developing future focused platforms for professional football - our Digital Technology team is central to our future.
Whilst investment in technology to make the experience of all participants relevant and easy, is already at the heart of how we can serve the game, we are looking to invest even further and deliver in a more iterative way, forming product lines and fully moving towards an Agile, Product Management framework.
By 2024, we will upgrade and simplify our core football administration system (moving from Whole Game System to Platform for Football) and provide enhanced capability to England teams.
Our product lines cover all those that RUN, PLAY, LEARN as well as our responsibility to REGULATE, WIN and leverage DATA whilst also ensuring sufficient focus on the CORE BUSINESS online and PLATFORMS that support each product and service across the organisation.
Join us in helping to DECIDE THE GAME and HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET.
The Role and Key Accountabilities
This is a technical role that is responsible for hands-on development across a range of FA products and systems. Primarily working in a Microsoft based tech stack, this role will also need to act as a focal point for all development activities in a given product area, including setting standards and implementing quality processes for third party developers.
- Develop software solutions in a timely manner, in accordance with the design provided by the solutions architect
- Guide and mentor third party developers to ensure compliance with FA development standards and practises
- Ensure that all code meets The FA standards and that proper process is followed, including use of source control systems
- Monitor changes to existing code base to ensure on-going supportability and robustness of software solutions.
- Aid product owners to breaking down requirements into specific programming tasks and provide estimates where required
- Communicate project progress, timelines, and impact of changes clearly to delivery manager
- Become familiar with all core FA systems in order to be able to assist or lead in the future development of such projects
- Diagnose bugs and offer workarounds to business
- Keep up-to-date with latest developments in technology and demonstrate proactive engagement with developer communities
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
What we are looking for
Technical & Experience
- Significant commercial web development experience using C# (.NET 4.5 & Core), ASP.NET MVC, T-SQL in an enterprise environment (5 Years minimum)
- Experience of leading teams of technical specialists through to successful delivery.
- Experience with MVC 5 / Web API / REST (2 years minimum)
- Experience with logical data design, and in designing schemas for relational database systems (5 Years minimum) Experience with unit testing, TDD / BDD
- Experience using Team Foundation server
- Experience with design and development of n-tier architectures (5 Years minimum)
- Some Knowledge of OOP and common design patterns.
- Working knowledge of Agile/Scrum/TDD
- IOC Frameworks: Autofac, StructureMap
- ORM Frameworks: nHibernate, Entity Framework, Dapper
- Experience of a CRM environment
- Significant experience and proven ability in developing web applications within enterprise architectures including implementing Content Management Systems such as SItecore.
- Must be able to break down technical projects into discrete tasks to assist in the creation of a project plan
- Technical bachelor's degree
- Experience in building and consuming web services and related technologies such as WCF and REST
- MCPD / MCSD Qualified
- Experience developing and supporting high-volume public-facing web applications.
- Experience of a CRM environment
- Sitecore development
- Experience of working in a Sport related environment
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary.
Please be aware that unless you are on a homebased contract, your contract with The FA will specify a fixed location of either Wembley Stadium, St. George's Park or our Processing Centre.
We currently work within a hybrid working model whereby the expectation is to work from your contractual location for part of the week, and as and when required by the team. The remaining days can be worked remotely. We will continue to monitor this model and it may be adjusted in future if deemed necessary.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your application.