Product Owner / Business Analyst
The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and generates significant revenue to support investment into English football each year.
The FA oversees England international teams across men's, women's, youth and disability football, as well as running the National League System and FA Competitions including the Emirates FA Cup, Barclays FA Women's Super League, FA Women's Championship, and Vitality Women's FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET
Technology is key to the FA's transformation. From supporting grassroots via our day-to-day digital presence, to using data-led insights to drive the game - to developing future focused platforms for professional football - our Digital Technology team is central to our future.
Whilst investment in technology to make the experience of all participants relevant and easy, is already at the heart of how we can serve the game, we are looking to invest even further and deliver in a more iterative way, forming product lines and fully moving towards an Agile, Product Management framework.
By 2024, we will upgrade and simplify our core football administration system (moving from Whole Game System to Platform for Football) and provide enhanced capability to England teams.
Our product lines cover all those that RUN, PLAY, LEARN as well as our responsibility to REGULATE, WIN and leverage DATA whilst also ensuring sufficient focus on the CORE BUSINESS online and PLATFORMS that support each product and service across the organisation.
Join us in helping to DECIDE THE GAME and HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET.
The Role and Key Accountabilities
The Product Owner / Business Analyst works in the FA Digital Technology team and is responsible for the product backlog and detailed requirements for a dedicated product scrum team.
The role will work with a Product Manager to ensure that the product backlog aligns with the overall product strategy and vision and with a Delivery Manager and scrum team to ensure the requirements are developed into a working and valuable product.
Product Owner / Business Analyst
- Constantly refine and prioritise the Product Backlog with the Product Manager and other delivery team members
- Create sprint plan, in alignment with the Product Manager
- Ensure user stories are sprint ready and include clear user acceptance criteria
- Plan and lead regular story refinement sessions with the delivery team
- Assist with sprint planning sessions to help the team to estimate user stories
- Provide clarification for delivery teams during sprints on any questions linked to the requirements
- Support quality assurance and user acceptance testing teams e.g., works with stakeholders to define acceptance tests
- Ensure all supporting knowledge documentation is clear, concise, and up to date in Confluence, Jira, Teams and Miro
FA and Digital Technology
- Support the continuous improvement of Digital Technology policies, process, and documentation to enhance the overall service to the business.
- Keep up to date with latest developments in Product Owner and Business Analysis techniques, including active participation in external groups and forums
- Contributes to selection of Agile methods, tools, and techniques for projects
- Consistently demonstrate required FA behaviours
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
What we are looking for
- Proven experience as a Product Owner or Business Analyst working with Agile teams and methodologies
- Significant experience of defining and managing requirements using industry standard techniques
- Expert knowledge in Agile delivery methods, in particular Scrum methodology
- Scrum Product Owner certification or Agile BA certification
- Experience and willingness to work in a team/centre of excellence and continually drive-up standards at the FA
- Highly organised, self-disciplined with strong planning and time management skills.
- Consistent approach with solid attention to detail.
- Able to effectively communicate the key strategy and reasoning behind technical decisions to non-technical people.
- Effective presentation skills (written and verbal).
- Experience of working with Agile development teams, including offshore colleagues
- Technology experience within Football or other sporting associations/stadiums
- Any knowledge of sports administration systems
- ISEB Business Analysis qualifications
- UML and BPMN knowledge
- Wireframing/UX prototypes
- Any Systems analysis experience useful e.g., logical data design and knowledge of database schemas
- Experience of using Teams, Miro, Confluence and JIRA
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary.
Please be aware that unless you are on a homebased contract, your contract with The FA will specify a fixed location of either Wembley Stadium, St. George's Park or our Processing Centre.
We currently work within a hybrid working model whereby the expectation is to work from your contractual location for part of the week, and as and when required by the team. The remaining days can be worked remotely. We will continue to monitor this model and it may be adjusted in future if deemed necessary.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your application.