Performance Lifestyle Lead (England Women's Teams)
Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation through Winning England Teams.
The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and generates significant revenue to support investment into English football each year.
The FA oversees England international teams across men's, women's, youth and disability football, as well as running the National League System and FA Competitions including the Emirates FA Cup, Barclays FA Women's Super League, FA Women's Championship, and Vitality Women's FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
To deliver against our goal we have reallocated resources and invested heavily in developing a team of exceptional people capable of creating winning England teams at our world-class training facilities at our National Football Centre, St. George's Park.
This is a unique and exciting time to join The FA and the Technical Team will be integral to the organisation achieving its goals.
The Football Association is seeking to recruit a senior and experienced leader to develop the performance lifestyle strategy for England Women's teams. The Performance Lifestyle Lead will play a critical role in supporting the wider Women's psycho-social strategy, ensuring England Women's players develop personally & professionally alongside their playing career as they move on to, through and beyond England Teams. The successful applicant will be accountable for performance lifestyle within England Teams and operational functions related to the discipline and its professional communities, nurturing shared understanding and collaboration across the women's game.
Proactively lead and enable the delivery of a clearly defined and aligned performance-driven performance lifstyle strategy to England Women's teams. You will work with key stakeholders to support performance through the development, effective implementation, and robust evaluation of holistic lifestyle support. You will report to the head of psychology and deliver comprehensive support aligned to the wider psycho-social strategy.
- Accountable for the development, delivery and leadership of the performance lifestyle strategy, and supporting the head of psychology in the evolution of the psycho-social strategy for England Women's teams
- Work collaboratively with the England Teams player care working group (mental health lead, medical lead, head of sport psychology, education, safeguarding and welfare) to establish a consistent and proactive psycho-social approach to performance, mental health and well-being within The FA:
- To promote a culture where all have the best opportunity for high levels of performance and well-being.
- To ensure robust support processes are in place for players facing/experiencing transition
- Communicate and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external to Englands Women's teams. Examples include; The FA Talent Pathway, The FA Women's Super League Academy, The FA Women's Professional Game:
- In collaboration with the pro game 'Player Care Lead', provide a critical leadership role that centers around sharing ideas, building knowledge, quality assuring practice, and collectively problem solving to drive PL practice forward in the Women's club game
- Develop and maintain relationships & partnerships with club practitioners
- Work with independent regulatory bodies to ensure discipline standards are at the highest level. This may include working with external partners to design accreditation pathways for performance lifestyle
- Support the FA Education department by reviewing and designing specific performance lifestyle content
- Provide performance lifestyle support to priority England players around finding and managing the optimal personal lifestyle balance for multiple demands e.g., from education, employment, family, finances etc. to protect and enhance performance potential and personal well-being:
- Provide a safe, impartial, and where necessary, a confidential space to support players personally, signposting and referring onwards as appropriate to safeguard the welfare, mental health and well-being of the player
- Promote the importance and impact of players creating and developing broader identities and interests beyond football to enable effective life balance that supports performance and fosters positive mental health and well-being
- Proactively engage players in future life planning and career development, with the emphasis on early intervention and continued personal and professional development throughout their time with England
- Proactively develop athletes' portfolio of personal, professional and life skills through workshops, opportunities and 1to1 coaching.
- Where appropriate, identify and facilitate appropriate communication methods, including workshops, to inform and educate players, coaches, and key stakeholders in the effective use of performance lifestyle support
- Develop a robust process for ensuring performance lifestyle impact is measurable and visible to all stakeholders
- Where necessary, lead recruitment campaigns that meet the needs of PL and identified teams, ensuring good communication and liaison with all stakeholders
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
- As part of The FA's commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone in football, every employee will be required to complete a DBS check. The level of the check required will be based on the activity of the specific job role and in line with legislation and government guidance, this role will include an enhanced DBS check, should you be successful.
What we are looking for
- Degree level (or equivalent) in sports management, sports science, education or a discipline relevant to the management and personal development of high performing individuals; or significant experience of education systems or elite sporting systems from an athlete or coaching perspective
- Professional coaching and mentoring qualification (level 7 equivalent) and/or individual accreditation (i.e. EMCC or ICF)
- Main areas of expertise to include Managing Transitions, Career Development, Financial Health, Education, Personal & Professional Development and Supporting Well Being.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, communication and self-awareness with the ability to build rapport quickly, leading to strong and productive relationships
- Well-developed coaching and mentoring skills
- Highly resilient with a track record of delivering in highly pressurised environments.
- Proven project management skills.
- Excellent relationship builder.
- Ability to create presentations and present to a wide range of key stakeholders
- Higher degree level (or equivalent) in sports management, sports science, education or a discipline relevant to the management and personal development of high performing individuals
- Developmental Psychology
- Experience of teaching, working in a mentorship/support/pastoral role with children/young adolescents
- Experience of coordinating operational and logistical planning and execution of 'friends and family' programmes at major events, to include close front facining support of players and their families.
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary.
Please be aware that unless you are contractually homebased, your contract with The FA will specify a fixed location of either Wembley Stadium, St. George's Park or our Processing Centre.
We currently work within a hybrid working model whereby the expectation is to work from your contractual location for part of the week, and as and when required by the team. The remaining days can be worked remotely. We will continue to monitor this model and it may be adjusted in future if deemed necessary.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your application.