Performance Data Engineer
Responsible to: Performance Intelligence and Analysis Lead
Location: National Tennis Centre, 100 Priory Lane, Roehampton, London, SW15 5JQ
Salary: Up to £45,000 per annum, dependent on experience
Benefits: Free gym on site, pension, life assurance, health insurance, staff discounts, cycle to work scheme plus more
About the role
World leading intelligence to amplify training and competition performance is a critical enabler to the performance teams’ mission of becoming one of the most respected nations in the world for player development. Specifically, we focus on:
- Understanding the ‘Insights into the game’ to underpin our decision-making regarding player selections, programme investments and knowledge of the global standards associated with the development of elite players.
- Using relevant data and technology approaches to amplify our players’ training and competition performance.
This unique position is integral to this ambition, with two primary role responsibilities:
- Optimise new and existing data pipelines, with a focus on solutions to improve both the quality and quantity of our available data, and the ‘speed to insight’ within training and competition.
- Answer relevant performance questions using contemporary data approaches across our performance pathway. The ability to design actionable dashboard solutions which deliver meaningful and long-term intelligence to our coaches and decision makers is critical.
Working across a range of different departments, the role will offer an exciting opportunity to have impact across a diverse portfolio of data projects. Collaboration with coaches and effective people skills will be key to success in role.
We are looking for:
- An enthusiastic and creative problem solver who wants to grow with us, work in a unique and diverse elite sport’s setting, and be a central driver on our ‘data journey.’
- Someone who enjoys working both independently, and within a small dynamic team to support the needs of our players, coaches, and strategic decision makers. Being innovative, working collaboratively across functions, and being able to simplify data workflows to ‘add value’ are critical.
- A person who thrives at optimising data pipelines, often developing these from the ground up, and who is comfortable handling unstructured and messy data sets. A mindset to pilot, iterate and problem solve to effective desktop solutions is vital.
- Outstanding technical skills in Microsoft Power Query, Power BI, Python and HTML Webscraping to deliver simple bespoke ‘desktop’ solutions and develop our ability to be ready to migrate to cloud-based workflows.
The LTA, through Its vision “Tennis Opened up”, is committed to creating a diverse environment where all colleagues feel included and a strong sense of belonging. We are proud to actively invite applications from all candidates who meet the essential criteria and are able to work in the UK, and we commit that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of your disability, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, or age.
- Manage and evolve existing data pipelines focussed on optimising both scale and accessibility to data. Example data sources include match analysis data, physical data, results and ranking data, and athlete health data.
- Source, integrate and build out new data workflows. A significant element of this delivery will involve core data extracting methods including web scraping, API integration and quality control procedures on the data.
- Build simple to use customer facing ‘desktop solutions focussed on ease of use and reducing time to insight for the end user (analysts, coaches etc). At present a large component of the role will be on delivering workflows within the Microsoft PowerBI environment (including M Language and Power Query design).
- Deliver simple and actionable reporting solutions that consistently land with players, coaches and performance Staff, using industry standard BI tools (e.g Power BI, Excel).
- Deliver statistical projects focussed around enhancing our insight into the game to support selections, investments and coach development.
- Support the Performance Intelligence and Analysis Lead to project manage the delivery of relevant cross functional performance questions.
- Manage pre-existing SQL databases, working collaboratively with the LTA’s technology department. This includes managing the reporting architecture, including scheduling of reports, management of user groups, and scheduling of data loads
- Alongside the Performance Intelligence and Analysis Lead, technically lead on our understanding and capability to evolve to an integrated cloud- based database environment that is robust, accurate and interconnected.
- Accelerate the analytical capability and confidence of performance colleagues through the design and delivery of relevant workshops and data CPD initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant Data Engineer / Analytics field
- Knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Power Query and PowerBI worklows, including Power Query M Formula Language and Dax language proficiency.
- Proficient experience of object-oriented programming languages, preferably Python and SQL
- Experience of HTML Webscraping methods, and API ingestion
- Experience integrating, transforming, and consolidating data from various structured and unstructured data systems into structures that are suitable for building analytics solutions
- Experience in quickly shaping incomplete and messy data sets into reporting and analytical solutions
- Strong working knowledge of database fundamentals such as multidimensional database design, relational database design, and more
- Highly proficient skills building effective reports / data visualisations using industry standard tools (Tableau, Power BI, Excel or similar systems)
- Experience in visualising and presenting data in an appealing and understandable way for the end user.
- Experience at translating business requirements into technical specification
- Strong knowledge and skills in applying contemporary statistical approaches to real world problems / questions
- Exceptionally IT literate.
- Outstanding communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent team worker and collaborator
- Outstanding data visualisation expertise
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Engineer
- Experience working in a high-performance sport environment
- Proficient experience in tools and systems on MS SQL Server BI Stack, with a particular focus on including SSRS and TSQL, Power Query, MDX, PowerBI, and DAX.
- Knowledge of Elite Tennis
- Empathy and understanding of the high-performance coaching and feedback process
- Effective project management skills