Media & Public Relations Manager
APL is a team of people who are passionate about their mission of uniting & entertaining Football Fans, growing our leagues and as a result realise the positive impact Football can have in Australian society.
We are a cutting edge, sport & entertainment business that brings both sports and technology together to deliver fans a unique, world class football experience.
Our team champion a deep commitment to football & entertainment with a focus on cultivating a fan-driven culture. We combine stadium & digital access to the best football content in Australia, in fast-paced environments. Our teams are empowered to innovate and influence our products, to continually change the game.
The Media and PR Manager is responsible for supporting the delivery of APL’s media relations and operations and for helping to build the profile of professional football in Australia. This role sits within a small team delivering best-in-class media relations and engagement, proactively pitching and promoting stories to increase awareness of the A-Leagues, its clubs, players, and major events, and KEEPUP Studios content.
You will work closely with the 13 A-Leagues’ club media managers, broadcast partner Paramount ANZ and a consumer PR agency to drive conversation around the A-Leagues, its players and football in Australia.
We are looking for an organised, enthusiastic and proactive person with sports industry experience and a passion for Australian football.
- Work with the Paramount ANZ publicity teams to deliver regular coverage in news, sports and entertainment and lifestyle programming, for the A-Leagues and KEEPUP Studios.
- Support and build quality relationships with sports, lifestyle and non-traditional media, including developing a year round media engagement and event plan.
- Maximise coverage of the A-Leagues and KEEPUP Studios in traditional and non-traditional channels, identifying and engaging media outlets to drive coverage, targeting both mass audience and specific audience segments.
- Work in partnership with the content team and KEEPUP Studios to identify newsworthy narratives, and bring those stories into the news cycle through sports and lifestyle media.
- Build relationships with influencers in the broader football ecosystem, to deliver proactive and reactive communications outcomes.
- Support the Head of Media and PR in tracking KPIs, budget and deliverables for agency relationships.
Media Relations, Operations and Administration
- Manage media operations during league-owned events, including season launches, finals series and other major events, such as All Stars’ games.
- Support the Head of Media and PR in building effective relationships and ways of working with APL’s broadcast partners and on-screen talent, to promote league messaging with impact and manage issues as they arise.
- Prepare responses to issues associated with the A-Leagues and respond promptly to all media enquiries.
- Develop and deliver media materials, including media guides, weekend reviews, and stats packs.
- Manage the APL’s media contacts and database, ensuring that contacts are up to date at all times.
- Monitor media attendance at games, and work with Clubs to improve media attendance and engagement.
- Act as the main point of contact for the A-Leagues Club Media Managers, to build and maintain effective working relationships and communications channels.
- Manage media monitoring, media analysis and regular reporting for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage invoicing and liaise with the finance team regarding Communications team expenditure.
- Manage the communications team’s templates, folders and systems.
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience in a similar role.
- 3+ years experience in a communications role.
- Experience working in a sporting environment, with matchday and events exposure.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent knowledge of Australian football, and a strong interest in global football.
- Good judgement, with the ability to work in a fast-paced and agile environment.
- Exemplary relationship building and management skills.
- Demonstrable ability to influence and engage internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience tracking and reporting on OKRs.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
Why work for us?
- Competitive salary
- Startup vibe, flexible working, open spaced offices
- Mobile phone usage allowance
- Job-related training in-house and allowance for external training applications/contributions
- Wine, Beer, Snacks, coffee and drinks.
Above all, we love football and, if you do too, you’ll love working with us. So if you’re excited about this opportunity, please ‘Apply now’.
APL does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies. Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thanks for your understanding.