Masters Degree in Sports Management
Sport is more than just a game—it can also be a way of life, and often a big business. In the Sports Management master's programme at the School of Business and Economics and the Faculty of Sport, you will build key competencies in the areas of managing sports organizations, developing strategies in sports organisations, managing sports facilities and sports events, dealing with people in sports organisations, financing sports organisations, marketing in sports, etc. which will help you solve the most complex managerial challenges in business practice.
Duration of study: 2 years (4 semesters) Scope of ECTS: 120 ECTS
Degree: Master's degree in Sports Management (the official degree in the Slovene language is "Magister managementa v športu; mag. manag. šp.")
Tuition fee: €3,350.00 per year.
We make sure that you:
• acquire up-to-date knowledge in a carefully designed programme structure
• gain valuable practical experience and skills
• build a valuable professional network
• create a good basis for employment
The 5th best programme in the world
The SEB LU Master in Sports Management is ranked as the 5th best programme in the field of Sports Management in the world by Eduniversal rankings.
The high ranking of the programme is the result of dedicated and hard work and a proof that we offer exceptional knowledge and skills in the field of sports management.
The unique value of the programme lies in its carefully designed structure with the aim to balance in-class knowledge about the relevant concepts on one hand and practical experience on the other hand. Students acquire up-to-date knowledge during three sets of courses where each set is delivered in approximately one semester:
• The first set enables students to understand general managerial, organisational, legal, sociological, and psychological issues of sport.
• The second set comprises one methodological course (on qualitative and quantitative research methods) plus a set of courses on three key business functions which are important in every sport organisation: HRM, marketing, and finance.
• The third set is about more specific topics on strategy development in sport organisations as well as managing sport infrastructure and events.
Practical experience and skills
The practical experience of students is partly achieved by including experienced guest lecturers from different sport organisations (e.g. the National Olympic Committee, the Sport Directorate of the Republic of Slovenia, and even UEFA) in the programme.
Most of the practical experience, however, is gained with students participating in the course called Research-Consulting Project in a Sport Organisation. Every year, a different project topic is defined by a selected sport organisation (the client) and the programme director. The client usually defines the initial practical problem based on which the structure of the project is agreed upon, paying attention to both practical applicability as well as research soundness and rigour. The project team is coordinated by at least one academic mentor whose role is to structure and steer the work of students. By working in teams and dealing with specific research questions, students develop analytical skills, acquaint themselves with research and consulting work, and gain valuable practical experience. The presentation of the project to the client’s top management significantly increases students’ motivation and positively influences the development of their written and oral presentation skills.
Studying in a small group of students does not just enable a more personalised approach by professors but also creates strong friendships for life. On the other hand, study activities take place on the same premises and the same campus as all other SEB LU’s master's programmes, which enables the students of this programme to be surrounded by hundreds of other SEB LU’s postgraduate students. These are not only Slovenian students but also incoming students from over 70 different countries and over 200 partner institutions from all over the globe. Therefore, the SEB LU offers plenty of opportunities for building a valuable international professional network.
Graduates of the Sports Management master's programme are employed in various leading positions in for-profit and non-for-profit sports and other organisations in Slovenia and abroad. They work as sports directors, strategic analysts and planners, sports event managers, sports facility managers, managers/agents of athletes, business consultants, marketing experts, human resources experts, technology and product developers in sports and other organisations, etc. They also establish and run their own companies that offer sports products and services or are related to sports in some other way.
WHY PICK SPORTS MANAGEMENT MASTER'S PROGRAMME AT THE SEB LU?
QUALITY OF THE STUDY PROGRAMME!
SEB LU’s Master's in Sports Management programme was ranked as the 5th best programme in the world by Eduniversal ranking in 2019.
Study in a small group of students where professors can focus on you personally.
QUALITY OF THE SCHOOL
Study at the school which is ranked among the top 1% in the world! Your degree will be recognised all over the world.
Surround yourself and build a network with students from all over the globe. There are incoming students from over 70 different countries and 200+ partner institutions studying at the SEB LU.
- Management in Sport
- Humanistic and Social Issues in Sport
- Organisational and Legal Issues in Sport
- Human Resource Management in Sport
- Marketing in Sport
- Finance and Accounting in Sport
- Research Methods
- Strategic Management in Sport
- Management of Sport Facilities
- Management of Sport Events
- Research-Consulting Project in a Sport Organisation
- Elective Course
- Master Thesis
* Students may choose any course in any higher education institution which is properly accredited and has at least 6 ECTS (the list of available electives at the SEB LU and the FS LU will be posted at the beginning of the academic year).