Junior Veterinary Surgeon (Ref: 20005809)
Founded in 1884, The Hong Kong Jockey Club is a world-class racing club that acts continuously for the betterment of our society. The Club has a unique integrated business model, comprising racing and racecourse entertainment, a membership club, responsible sports wagering and lottery, and charities and community contribution. Through this model, the Club generates economic and social value for the community and supports the Government in combatting illegal gambling. In 2019/20, the Club contributed HK$19.9 billion in duty and profits tax and HK$0.8 billion to the Lotteries Fund. Approved charity donations were HK$4.5 billion. The Club is Hong Kong’s largest single taxpayer and one of the city’s major employers. Its Charities Trust is also one of the world’s top ten charity donors. The Club is always “riding high together for a better future” with the people of Hong Kong
This is an exciting opportunity for a junior clinician to join our team of 20 veterinary surgeons. The position will involve working for both the Department of Veterinary Clinical Services and the Department of Veterinary Regulation, Welfare and Biosecurity Policy, allowing the successful applicant to gain a thorough understanding and the practical skills related to all aspects of racetrack veterinary practice.
The position will be primarily based in Hong Kong, at the Sha Tin racing complex. In addition, you will provide veterinary cover on a rotational basis at the HKJC’s Equine Hospital located at Conghua Racecourse, which is in China, approximately 4 hours’ drive from Hong Kong. You will work closely with senior colleagues and there will be opportunities to gain valuable experience and develop practical skills in a busy, world-class racing environment. You will be encouraged to contribute to ongoing and future research projects. Accommodation will be provided.
The Junior Veterinary Surgeon is primarily responsible for:
- providing assistance to senior colleagues;
- in the administration of daily treatments during routine stable rounds
- in the performance of diagnostic procedures such as airway endoscopy, gastroscopy, radiography, ultrasonography, MRI and nuclear scintigraphy
- during pre and post-race veterinary examinations and race day operations
- by supporting general veterinary-related services such as accompanying airport convoys and convoys between Hong Kong and Conghua
- performing general anaesthesia and assisting with elective and emergency surgery
- management and treatment of hospitalised patients
Ideally, you should:
- hold a degree recognized by the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Hong Kong
- have some experience in equine practice and be able to demonstrate competence in core clinical skills
- be enthusiastic and motivated to learn
- have good communication and interpersonal skills
For further details about the positions, please contact Dr Amy Kelly, Veterinary Surgeon / Executive Manager, Veterinary Clinical Services by phone: (852) 2966-6606, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 19 April 2021
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. An 18-month contract will be offered to the successful candidates. Further contract renewal or conversion to career terms will be subject to mutual agreement between the Club and the individual. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
How to apply
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary and job reference to email@example.com.