Head of Sevens Event Planning & Delivery
World Rugby intends to appoint a Head of Sevens Event Planning and Delivery. The position will play a critical role in leading the creation of integrated operational plans across the Sevens World Series, ensuring all contributing internal stakeholders and external partners are able to integrate their plans and to create a seamless delivery of the rugby, participation, and experiential elements of the events in each host city to the highest possible standard.
World Rugby has established a new part of its organisation – World Rugby Events (Events Co) – which is charged with organising and delivering major international events such as the Rugby World Cups – men’s and women’s, the annual World Rugby Sevens Series and the developmental Women’s XV international tournament.
Through World Rugby Events, the delivery of these major tournaments under a new model will be key to the success of a ten-year strategic plan. And as part of this mission, the Sevens World Series will be relaunched for the 2023-24 season as a vibrant festival with rugby at the centre, surrounded by music, premium food experiences and participation opportunities. This new Sevens World Series will show case rugby in its Olympic Games format and will act a crucial front door for existing and new fans to experience the wonder of the sport in a fabulous festival atmosphere.
Under the new model, World Rugby will have a more direct role in the setting up, running and delivery of its events and aims to be the leader in the delivery of major international events. There is an exciting transition from the old hosting model, and the new – with Events Co Local Operating Companies (LOCs) in each of the respective territories for Rugby World Cups and a Sevens World Series Business Unit for leading the delivery of the World Series events.
With the focus on the Sevens World Series, World Rugby intends to appoint a Head of Sevens Event Planning and Delivery reporting to the General Manager of Sevens. The position will play a critical role in leading the creation of integrated operational plans across the Sevens World Series, ensuring all contributing internal World Rugby Functional Areas, Delivery Partners, contractors, suppliers and Commercial Partners are able to integrate their plans and to create a seamless delivery of the rugby, participation, and experiential elements of the events in each host city to the highest possible quality and safety.
Event Planning & Delivery
- Reporting to the Sevens General Manager, ensure proactive planning and operational delivery of the full Sevens World Series events across all cities.
- Leading a team of Event Oversight Directors allocated to specific cities / events – ensure all internal World Rugby Functional Areas are developing their programme and plans.
- Working closely with EventsCo Programme Management team, ensure that all events are being progressed to time and cost.
- Build effective relationships with all stakeholders involved in the planning and delivery of the Sevens World Series.
- Lead on the co-ordination of delivery requirements for all Sevens World Series events across internal World Rugby Functional Areas.
Participating Team Mobility Oversight
- Co-ordinate with the appropriate service provider and internal Functional Areas for the logistical arrangements put in place by World Rugby for international travel for the teams and officials.
- Liaise with EventsCo internal Functional Areas to ensure the appropriate management and administration for the Teams mobility arrangements.
Workforce Delivery Oversight
- Working with EventsCo Workforce Planning and Operations department to ensure appropriate workforce resources are planned by each of the Event Delivery Partners, contractors and commercial partners plus local emergency services staff and other represented bodies.
- Ensure the arrangements for achievement of recruitment and training targets by the Event delivery Partners, contractors and commercial partners as well as the required levels of appropriately accredited staff.
- Continuously develop the Workforce model and framework for Sevens World Series in conjunction with the Workforce Planning and Operations department.
Venue and Facility Planning and Delivery
- Lead the Sevens Events Oversight team in the creation of detailed operational plans, budgets and forward planning schedules, including the coordination of build schedules and site planning.
- Lead the co-ordination with all relevant parties to ensure accurate space allocations, client flows and key equipment placements are fully understood and represented on CADs and Maps.
- Lead the co-ordination to ensure event security, health and safety obligations are being met in accordance with the laws of the territory
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in holding a leadership role within a major international sporting event landscape or equivalent events.
- Demonstrable success in leading the strategic,tactical and operational planning and delivery at overall event and venue / city level resulting in exceptional outcomes.
- Demonstrable success in providing leadership in a challenging multi-stakeholder environment to achieve outstanding outcomes at overall and specific event level.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment and capable of moving seamlessly between strategic,tactical and operational levels of activity
- Experience dealing with budgets, enterprise system tools and project management tools.
- Positive, outgoing personality - collaborative, persistent,resilient and diplomatic.
- Ability to forge strong relationships and a team player
- Likely to have extensive relevant working experience in the events industry
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Insightful understanding of the mechanics of sporting organizations and key senior stakeholder management
- A team player who takes pride in delivering world class events and will contribute to a high-performing team
- Ability to work autonomously, under pressure and make sound decisions fast
- Share and embrace World Rugby’s core values; Discipline, Respect, Integrity,Passion and Solidarity through teamwork
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Experienced in all MS Office programmes (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
World Rugby is committed to building a diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality and inclusion and welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace, which reflects the global sport we want to be and where everyone can be themselves and feel they belong.
Most of our roles offer hybrid working, with two core office days (Tuesday & Wednesday) and a third day of your choice to be with colleagues in the office. This applies to our Dublin, London & Paris offices. The remaining two days are flexible, so you can choose to work from home or be in the office.