Head of Science and Medicine
The Head of Science and Medicine is a vital contributor to the performance teams’ mission of becoming one of the most respected nations in the world for player development. As a member of the Performance Senior Management Team (SMT) the Head of Science and Medicine leads on ensuring our science, medicine, and performance data/tech services directly impact on pathway players performance and personal development.
About the role
The Head of Science and Medicine is a vital contributor to the performance teams’ mission of becoming one of the most respected nations in the world for player development. As a member of the Performance Senior Management Team (SMT) the Head of Science and Medicine leads on ensuring our science, medicine, and performance data/tech services directly impact on pathway players performance and personal development. The role also leads on driving cross-functional, performance focussed service culture within the science and medicine team where collaboration with coaches is key and focusses on increasing the physical and psychological preparedness of players and on using modern data and technology approaches to improve training and competition performance.
With a large and complex team of disciplines in their remit the Head of Science and Medicine will provide highly credible leadership through a track record of operating at the highest level as a practitioner and manager. The role requires excellent people and operational management skills and the capability to communicate high standards of delivery in a clear, motivational way among the team and as a value adding member of the SMT.
The LTA, through Its vision “Tennis Opened up”, is committed to creating a diverse environment where all colleagues feel included and a strong sense of belonging. We are proud to actively invite applications from all candidates who meet the essential criteria and are able to work in the UK, and we commit that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of your disability, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, or age.
We also operate a flexible working environment where all colleagues are able to discuss their working needs with their manager or the People Team at any time.
- Lead an interdisciplinary team of support staff to deliver impactful medical and scientific support services to players on LTA Player pathway programmes in an integrated fashion
- Develop a team culture where enhancing the on-court performance of players across the Player Pathways is central to the objectives of all science and medicine functions
- Create a high performance service culture among the science and medicine team where the delivery of support services is closely aligned to the annual strategic priorities of the performance team and the individual plans of LTA Supported players
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a world-class player monitoring and performance planning method across all LTA Delivered players. Ensure a complimentary approach is applied in LTA Supported programmes
- Oversee robust governance and monitoring structures across all the disciplines within the science and medicine team, to include the professional qualification and practices of individual practitioners
- Ensure clear function technical frameworks and practitioner objectives are in place across the science and medicine team that align to the annual performance team priorities and are supported by appropriate, regularly reviewed annual budgets and operational plans
- Define how the science and medicine delivery within LTA Supported Performance Programmes (e.g., national academies, RPDCs) will be governed and implement effective review procedures
- Implement a strategy for the capture of frontline medical and scientific learnings into principles that drive future science and medicine delivery across British Tennis through practitioner CPD, education programmes and distribution through appropriate publications and media outlets
- Contribute to the oversight of our 10 year strategy and mission as a member of the performance senior management team. Co-lead on delivering effective annual strategic review, operational planning and wider team development activities that are led by the SMT. Ultimately share responsibility in ensuring a globally benchmarked approach to player development is being applied across our player pathways to give performance players the highest probability of achieving elite success
- Provide outstanding mentorship and management to science and medicine discipline leads individually and as a collective allowing them to themselves provide optimal operational and personal leadership within their discipline area
- Utilise frontline experience and skillsets as a high performance practitioner in an effective manner to enhance the quality of delivery in your chosen discipline(s)
Previous Experience of:
- Operating as a frontline practitioner within high performance sport including extensive experience of international travel and field experience at global/major events (e.g., Grand Slams, Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cups)
- Operating as a lead practitioner in a medical or sport science discipline. Managing support staff working at global major events level (e.g., Grand Slams, Olympic Games, World Championships)
- Working directly with coaches on the integration of performance support services into the development and performance programmes of elite level athletes
- Developing high performance plans at a team/sport level and individual development plans at the single athlete level
- Developing and overseeing SS&M governance procedures and professional development of individual practitioners including medical governance, athlete confidentiality, GDPR etc
- Liaising directly with athletes, coaches, and performance directors to shape successful sport science and medical programme delivery
- Operating as a highly credible communicator of insights, ideas, and essential information across the spectrum of staff members athletes, coaches, and senior executives, often under time or outcome pressures
- Developing and managing budgets across a complex spectrum of cost centres
- Use of data management systems to ensure secure and efficient storage and communication of athlete data
- Developing and implementing a continuing professional development strategy for medical and/or sport science staff in high performance sport
- Applying highly credible leadership skills to invoke trust and respect from others
- Overseeing the development of discipline specific delivery philosophies and principles to be applied by practitioners within individual athlete contexts
- Operating as leader/manager of practitioners working across multiple disciplines of medical and sport science within high performance sport
- Experience of developing world class medical and sport science facilities within a high performance centre
- Experience of working within and helping with the organisation of small Multi-disciplinary Teams focussed on individual athlete performance planning and execution
- Experience of working within a tennis development pathway and/or performance environment
- Experience of working within non-centralised sports with an individual athlete and global tour focus
Knowledge, Training & Qualifications:
- A post graduate level qualification within the disciplines of sports medicine, sports sciences or performance support more widely
- Evidence of a fully accredited membership of a professional body in a relevant discipline of sport science or sports medicine
- Evidence of recent CPD to develop management and leadership skills
- Evidence of a sport coaching qualification