Head of Parks and Community Tennis
This role will also focus on leading the strategy and delivery of transformational programmes and support to under-served communities, so that tennis can become a genuine and accessible option for LSEG and BAME communities.
Responsible to - Participation Director
Location - The National Tennis Centre
About the role
The LTA’s Vision is “Tennis Opened Up” and our Mission is to grow tennis by making it more relevant, accessible, welcoming and enjoyable. As part of the Participation Senior Management Team, this role will support the implementation and delivery of strategies and plans to support and develop the park’s tennis network, provision and operation in Britain, working with the LTA regional team and local delivery partners. This role will also focus on leading the strategy and delivery of transformational programmes and support to under-served communities, so that tennis can become a genuine and accessible option for LSEG and BAME communities.
The closing date is Sunday 5th April – please apply with a CV and Cover letter online
- Support the delivery of strategies and plans to grow tennis in Parks across the country, with a focus on the roll out of the facilities investment strategy, embedding sustainable operating models and increasing the adoption of digital tools which make it easier for players to find, book and access tennis courts and activities, providing critical delivery support to the regional teams.
- Work with the regional teams to provide specialist support and advice in establishing and embedding strong ‘on the ground’ relationships with local authorities ensuring their needs and challenges are well understood and promoted, with the ultimate aim of facilitating adoption of the LTA’s strategies and plans to ensure sustainable tennis provision the their local community.
- Work with and through the regional teams to manage the roll out of gate access system technology to over 1,000 identified parks sites across the country ensuring on the ground support to on-board local authorities and ensure the appropriate monitoring and evaluation of the pipeline of sites.
- Lead the delivery of accessible programmes in parks that focus on attracting and retaining people in tennis.
- Lead on the development and delivery of outstanding and transformational community outreach programmes that delivers an increase in tennis participation in underserved communities and a positive social impact return.
- Establish and manage relationships with key national partners to support and enable the delivery of agreed support plans and programmes into local communities.
- Provide the Directorate and Business with thought leadership on the area of community tennis with a focus on LSEG and BAME communities and develop and deliver plans to open tennis up to these communities working with relevant LTA teams and external organisations.
- Working in conjunction with the Heads of Clubs, Counties & Volunteering and Education, this role will need to embed agreed strategies and plans for parks and community tennis and ensure a quality and consistent service to and across the delivery channels, working in a joined up manner, in order to connect and grow tennis in local communities across the British tennis landscape.
- Lead, inspire and motivate the Parks and Community Tennis team to deliver excellent specialist support to the regional teams.
- Work closely with the Participation Senior Management Team, the COO Directorate and other teams across the wider business to deliver the targets within the new strategic plan.
- Work collaboratively across other teams within the LTA, especially the Property and Operations teams, in order to identify and drive synergies and opportunities.
- Build and maintain strong external relationships to assist with the delivery of the LTA’s activities.
Strong experience of leading a national scale sport development programme.
Proven experience and strong track record of working with or in Local Authorities sports development
Leading, inspiring and motivating a team of specialists in the sport development industry.
Executing a national strategy at a local level working with multiple delivery partners.
Instigating, developing and managing multiple relationships with national and local partners and community organisations.
Sports delivery in community settings and in disadvantaged areas for LSEG’s, with an understanding of the challenges and barriers to participation and identifying and deploying potential solutions.
Knowledge, Training & Qualifications:
Strong knowledge and understanding of Sport for Development Sector.
Strong knowledge and understanding of the Local Authority landscape nationally.
Understanding of social impact of sport.
Outstanding leadership and management capabilities
Strategic thinker with strong delivery capabilities.
Full Driving Licence.
- An understanding of local, County, Regional and National Tennis structures.
- Sports development and/or sports facility management qualifications.
- Project or Programme management qualification.
- A great leader and motivator of others
- A great communicator both internally & externally
- Always prepared to work collaboratively
- Works well as part of a cross functional team and with remote regional teams
- Works openly & honestly in the interests of the team
- Will always suggest improvements to ways of working
- Will be comfortable challenging groups or individuals to ensure high levels of work
- Treats others as you wish to be treated
- Committed to growing the sport of tennis
- Highly proactive with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Hard working & driven to succeed and achieve our mission
- Passionate about developing opportunities for people to play sport
- Always aims to achieve the best possible outcome
- Develops plans based on best practise and previous experience
- Seeks support from colleagues to improve outcomes
- Will be happy to take the more challenging route if it results in higher quality outputs
- Strategic thinker who puts the customer first