Head of Event Legal
As the organiser of some of the biggest and most iconic sport events in the world we lead the way in the sport and event industry.
We are now looking for a Head of Event Legal that is part of FIFA and supports us on our mission.
These are your key tasks:
- Leading the delivery of legal services for all operational matters falling within the competence of FIFA's Event Legal Department, supporting divisions across FIFA including World Cup, Women's Football, Tournaments and Competitions
- Managing a team of five lawyers and reporting to the Director of Commercial & Corporate Legal
- Developing and implementing the legal framework for the bidding, hosting and staging of FIFA tournaments and events, including the supervision of FIFA interests in the implementation of Government Guarantees
- Planning and implementing, in collaboration with FIFA Finance, the tax and corporate structures of FIFA subsidiaries in host countries of FIFA Events
- Providing legal support to establish initial operational functionality of FIFA subsidiaries in host countries of FIFA Events
- Providing legal services and support to the FIFA Quality Programme licensing program
- Providing legal services and support in respect of FIFA's Event-related regulations, including Competition Regulations, Media & Marketing Regulations and Equipment Regulations
- Supporting the Director Commercial & Corporate Legal's provision of legal and operational input to cross-divisional working groups for the development and updating of FIFA's strategies, including FIFA's Hosting Strategy and Marketing Rights Delivery
- Giving advice to the Director Commercial & Corporate Legal regarding political and public affairs matters affecting the Event Legal Department
- Legal servicing of event-related services for Ticketing, Hospitality and Accommodation
- Developing and structuring the Event Legal department, including responsibility for the training and performance of department staff, supervising the administration of the department's budgets, supervising and directing project management policies within the department
- Coordinating the interaction with the other departments in the Commercial and Corporate subdivision and the Legal and Compliance Division more generally
How will you shape the role and make it your own?
We work hard at FIFA.
We are dedicated, ambitious and innovative.
And we respect our values. Always.
For all roles, we seek talented people with an entrepreneurial spirit and a global mindset.
The specific competencies we require for this position are:
- Law degree and associated professional qualification; admission to relevant Bar or Roll
- A minimum of 9 years' experience of legal practice in the sports industry, either in-house or with a reputable law firm engaged in bidding for, hosting and staging sports events
- Clear track record of leading drafting and negotiations of hosting agreements, stadium agreements and the preparation of bid documentation for premium sports properties
- Demonstrable understanding of all aspects of bidding, hosting and staging major sports events, including in relation to ticketing, hospitality and accommodation
- Proven experience of leading a team and ability to develop and implement strategies for the daily management of the team
- Ability to develop and implement legal and commercial strategies for the future delivery of FIFA's tournaments and events
- Fluent in English with proven track record of drafting and negotiating legal documents in English
- Proficiency in any other FIFA language (F / ES / GER) is an asset
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to work in host country settings when required
- Ability to work across a wide range of event related legal matters
- Willingness to accept a high degree of responsibility
- Problem solving approach
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent team management skills
- Ability to handle large workload
- Open minded team player with affinity for various cultural and political sensitivities
- Empathy towards interests of other FIFA Divisions and FIFA's stakeholders
- High degree of professionalism
- Pro-active and collaborative approach
We are FIFA
We are FIFA, the global governing body for football.
Our vision is to make football truly global, diverse and inclusive, for the benefit of the entire world. The last FIFA World Cup in Russia in 2018 attracted almost four billion viewers and the last FIFA Women's World Cup in France in 2019 one billion viewers. The opportunities for growth are exciting.
We are a modern organisation with over 850 passionate employees who are Living Football every day. Our headquarters are based in Zurich, Switzerland, and we have an office in Paris, plus eleven regional offices from New Zealand to India, Congo, Panama and Paraguay.
You can find more information about us on the FIFA career page and on jobs.FIFA.com.
Building the new FIFA is stimulating and demanding.
We seek people who can help take us to the next level. People who constantly challenge us to innovate and find better ways. Are you the right kind of player for our team?
Equal. Diverse. Inclusive.
Come as you are.
Perks & Benefits
The biggest benefit of a career at FIFA is the privilege to work for the beautiful game and create something that matters.
Alongside that privilege, we also offer some extra perks and benefits:
- Health and fitness
- Home office
- Language courses
- Continuous learning
- Relocation allowance