General Manager - UK & Ireland
General Manager – Spartan Race UK & Ireland
Location: Central London, UK
With more than 250 events across more than 40 countries on six continents, Spartan is the world’s largest Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) and endurance brand. Providing transformation through sport, Spartan attracts more than one million annual participants across all fitness levels, from beginners to elite racers. More than five million participants have finished Spartan events, creating a lifestyle that extends beyond races including health and wellness products, training and nutrition programs, and popular media content, which has made OCR one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Spartan events feature races at various distances, Stadion and Sprint: 5-km and 20 Obstacles; Super: 13-km and 25 Obstacles; Beast: 21-km and 30 Obstacles; and Ultra: 50-km and 60 obstacles. Visit spartan.com for more information.
About Spartan Race UK & Ireland:
Spartan Race UK & Ireland is a 100% owned subsidiary. It organises between 6 and 10 events annually and attracts +30,000 racers annually. Spartan is one of the strongest OCR brands in the region and hosts events at some of UK and Ireland’s most premium venues such as Windsor and Twickenham Stadium.
Based in London and reporting to the EMEA Regional Director, this position is responsible for managing the UK & Ireland business.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the key coordinators/managers within the UK & Ireland business (Production / Marketing / Business Operations) and an overall team of 10 individuals.
- Manage – via a dotted line – both the Sponsorship and Merchandising teams.
Budget Planning and Financial Accounting:
- Prepare an annual budget for the UK & Ireland business.
- Track revenues and costs on a daily business and flag deficits with an intention to turn them around.
- Manage accounts with the US Finance Team on a monthly basis.
- Pay invoices and fill tax returns to HMRC.
Marketing and Communication Strategy:
- Prepare the season launch plan with the Marketing Manager / the Marketing Team.
- Track progress against key promotional dates and periods.
- Continuously review marketing plans against registrations / sales numbers.
- Define Pricing strategy and optimize our discounting strategy throughout the year.
New Business Generation:
- Define the UK sponsorship strategy with the UK and US Sponsorship Teams.
- Develop sponsorship revenues through various networks.
- Attend sponsorship meetings / season or event debriefs.
- Develop strategic relationships for the UK business.
- Meet with new venues to redefine and optimize Spartan UK & Ireland race calendar.
Oversee Race Operations:
- High level review of event operations with the Race Director and ensure events are tracking in line with Budget and Product, as well as Legal and Insurance requirements.
- Define clear improvements for the Race Director and his team to work on with a clear objective of always improving the racers’ experience.
- Analyze budget efficiencies, including new potential investments.
Legal & Insurance:
- Liaise with the US Legal team and Spartan UK & Ireland legal firm to ensure compliance and manage any specific legal issues.
- Liaise with the UK-specific insurance broker to set up the UK & Ireland insurance scheme and manage any insurance claims.
The successful candidate will have:
- B/A B/S required.
- 8-10 years’ minimum experience.
- Preference for individuals who have managed teams and worked in the mass events’ business.
Experience necessary for effective job performance:
- Self-Starter. Demonstrated strategic thinking and leadership skills but not afraid to roll up their sleeves!
- Track record of driving strong business results.
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with multiple key stakeholders across all functions of the business.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.