General Manager, Sports Events
SPORTFIVE operates with a global mindset and network of over 1,200 local experts based in 15 countries around the world, active in Football, Golf, Esports, Motorsport, Handball, Tennis, American Football, Basketball, Ice Hockey, Rugby, Olympics and Multi-Sport Events and many more.
The role of the GM, Sports Events (GMSE) will be to lead the delivery of the Sports Event Procurement services at Kai Tak Sports Park (KTSP).
Leading the onsite team established by Sportfive within the KTSP/ASM Global wider group, the GMSE will be responsible for the acquisition of local, regional and global sporting events for the precinct. This work will achieve the relevant objectives established by the Design, Build, and Operate contract between the Culture, Sports and Tourism Bureau (CSTB) and Kai Tak Sports Park Limited, in particular to position KTSP as key to making Hong Kong a centre for major sporting events.
Kai Tak Sports Park is a fully integrated sports, entertainment and leisure destination that is expected to be completed by end of 2024. The 280,000-square-metre precinct will be part of the redevelopment on the site of the former Hong Kong International Airport. The park features a 50,000-seat Main Stadium with a retractable roof, an Indoor Sports Centre with the flexibility to host community sports and events of up to 10,000 audience, and a Public Sports Ground with a capacity of 5,000 seats. These venues will be complemented with extensive outdoor areas for events and leisure together with retail and harbour front dining spaces.
The GMSE will focus on the following areas to ensure that the project achieves and, where possible, exceeds the Sports Event KPIs.
General responsibilities include:
- Lead the further development and execution of the sports event strategy, ensuring a sports events calendar that achieves KTSP’s objectives;
- Participating in review and planning meetings with KTSPL/ASM Global, providing expert input into the further development of the sports events strategy;
- Participate, when required, in sports events meetings with CSTB as part of or on behalf of the Precinct team;
- Work closely with government agencies to identify commercially attractive event opportunities;
- Manage a wide range of stakeholders within and outside KTSP. Act as the main liaison for the coordination of information and driving forward opportunities relating to sports events procurement;
- Be responsible for the development/implementation of the Sport Events Support Scheme (SESS), including identifying possible SESS events, administration, tracking utilization and reporting to CSTB’s Supervising Officer;
- Provide management assistance, when required, for sports events staged at KTSP;
- Oversee the sports event procurement budget within the overall KTSP budget;
- Generate and track progress reports to ensure the team is meeting its ongoing business development targets;
- Establish positive international and local awareness of the Precinct through an industry marketing campaign, to be funded by KTSPL;
- Create and/or contribute to all relevant contractually required reporting to KTSPL and HKSAR Government representatives on the status of the KTSP Sports Events Procurement programme;
- Manage Sportfive’s Sports Event Procurement Team, ensuring that team members are performing their responsibilities to the levels required of them. Develop the team’s professional capabilities and encourage ongoing personal development; and
- Lead the team in creating a positive culture of continuous improvement.
Sports Event Procurement responsibilities include:
- Develop/execute an effective total sales process, including pipeline development, identification of possible Sports Event ownership opportunities, participating in bidding processes, continual engagement of international, regional and national sports events rights owners;
- Build strong relationships and lead negotiations with international and national sports governing bodies and other event owners to procure events. This has a focus on the core strategic partnerships with major local sports federations and events;
- Creatively explore event opportunities across the world for both existing events to be staged at KTSP and new concepts which could drive both fan interest and commercial success.
- Coordinate with key Sportfive executives regionally and globally to support KTSP’s sports events procurement strategy;
- Research the commercial viability and potential funding models for the hosting of sports events at KTSP;
- Contribute to the development of robust event documentation for identified sports events;
- Where relevant, identify suitable sports event investment opportunities to own/bid for;
- Support Sportfive’s Sports Event team:
- To develop a deep understanding of the global and local Sports Events calendar and commercial event models;
- To build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders; and
- To prepare event bids, event grant applications or any documents needed to support the overall sales process.
Preferred Requirements and Qualifications:
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in some of the following areas: sports event procurement/promotion/management, stadium/venue operations, sports event related government relations (including funding applications), and international sports rights management;
- Experience in the pre-opening phase of large scale, government funded sports infrastructure will be a great advantage;
- Possessing a strong knowledge of the Hong Kong sports industry would be beneficial, both in terms of how events are funded/organised and understanding local sports fan consumer trends.
- Have an effective, high level contact network in Hong Kong and internationally to assist in securing sports events;
- A proven ability to manage a team working in a high-pressure environment, with competing priorities, multiple stakeholders and deadlines, ideally with both private and government stakeholders;
- A positive, customer centric attitude and dynamic approach, with the ability to adapt to change;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and build relationships with a diverse range of people;
- Strong attention to detail and thorough planning/organisational skills;
- Fluent in English and Cantonese and/or Mandarin;
- Bachelor’s degree in venue management, hospitality, event management, business or a related field;
- Skills in Microsoft programs (word, excel, powerpoint), customer registration/loyalty programmes, IT systems, social media platform management; and
- Passionate about sports!