Director, Vendor and Venue Research and Procurement – Olympics and Paralympics
Director, Venue Research & Procurement is a key role with a primary responsibility for providing venue and vendor research, bidding and procurement on behalf of the Event Production team for the Paris 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games. This role is focused on the planning stage of the project and building a database of potential vendors as well as in venue and off venue sites to support hospitality needs across both Commercial and Game Stakeholder Programs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Position specific responsibilities:
- Review and analyze current list of in venue and off venue space allocations from IOC and OCOG.
- Determine quantity, size/capacity and related specifics for additional venue procurement – packages, partners, IOC contract commitments.
- Explore geographical area surrounding key event venues to “focus in” on venues that are within a walking or 20-30 minute commute (metro/public transport, train, walk).
- Explore key city areas for venue opportunities that put sponsors, partners, guests in the middle of the “action” and will appeal to partner houses, etc.
- Explore “open areas” that could host/accommodate temporary structures or a hybrid of temporary and permanent.
- Explore permanent, available spaces that could be transformed into a hospitality venue.
- Venue consideration to include, but not limited to:
1. Access dates
2. Access & Egress points
3. Existing Power
4. Existing Furnishings
5. Existing A/V
6. Required Vendors & Labor
7. ADA viability, especially if using a space originally designed for other purposes
8. Hazards – power lines, flooding, winds, ground conditions, slopes
9. Existing Food and Beverage service
10. Existing Restrooms or ability to add temporary units
11. Location of space to groups ticket location
- Understanding procedures for permitting and fire code for existing, repurposed, and temporary event venues.
- Create database of vendors as provided by IOCs, IPCs, NOCs, NPCs.
- Create standard communication to request mandatory and/or preferred vendor lists from all venues being considered or already assigned.
- Review and record any pre-assignments prior to On Location Contract.
- Create database and institute bidding process based on existing Event Production Bidding policies and procedures, adapting for IOC if/as needed.
- Support/lead selection of suppliers to ensure appropriate quality, service and productivity / savings levels.
- Serve as an active member of the Bid Management & Procurement Programs Leadership Team, responsible for setting and successfully implementing strategies for Bids Sourcing, Pricing, and Procurement Programs to deliver outstanding value.
- Provide support for the Supplier Diversity & Development Program and engage in goal establishment, action planning and financial/quantitative reporting, as required.
- Liaison with key departments to address updated vendor needs, milestones, and timelines.
- Liaison with contracting team as to terms, conditions, and parameters for bidding, negotiating, and contracting.
- Oversee scope milestones and deadlines.
- Forecast, qualify and maintain budgets.
- Oversee assigned portions of P&L and track expenditures.
- Manage project team and move work forward daily within team environment.
- Liaise with production implementation teams on diagrams and compliance with fire and building code.
- Facilitate and lead production meetings with key staff and vendors.
- Troubleshoot, anticipate and act proactively on event aspects of role leading up and following turn over to production implementation team.
- Maintain and manage venue and venue vendor relationships.
- Assist with proposals and pitch meetings.
- Update senior management.
- Administrative & Other, including but not limited to:
1. Expense Reports
2. Process Invoices
3. File storage
4. Weekly hours billing reports
Must be adaptable with work and travel schedule and be available to travel for work which may include extended work hours during nights, weekends, and holidays. International travel may be required throughout the year, including extended periods of remote work within local offices within host cities. This position may require up to 30-40% travel.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the employee's activities, duties, or responsibilities for this job. Duties, obligations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Role Specific Requirements:
1. Temporary build out knowledge
2. Temporary Structure Knowledge
3. Knowledge of European Accessibility Act and French Accessibility Requirements and applying to existing, repurposed, and temporary event venues
4. Knowledge of European, French Fire and Building Codes
- Speaks fluent French and English; other languages encouraged
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Hospitality Management, Sports Management, or a related field, or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in managing and producing events, brand activations, and event teams.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite | Adobe Acrobat.
- Highly organized and process oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and remain calm in high-pressure situations.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and directed, requiring minimal supervision.
- Good timekeeping and work ethic that is characterized by commitment, motivation, and energy.
- Presently resides or willing to relocate to Paris, France.
Preferred Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of FileMaker| Keynote | SharePoint | Smartsheets | Microsoft Teams | Zoom.
- Prior experience with large-scale sporting events a plus.
- Flexibility and positive attitude to work long days, evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
As the leading experiences company in the world, we strive to be the most innovative and passionate — the best of the best. We uphold these values in our quest for excellence:
- Exceed all service expectations with our customers, our partners, and each other.
- Create value by enriching people's lives.
- Do the right thing and bring others along with us — always.
- Propel the power of diversity, in thought, team and experience.
- Partner to generate win-win solutions.
- Ignite and empower our team's entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exude respect and gratitude — treat others as you would want to be treated.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
On Location is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or genetic information.