Director, Transportation - Operations Lead – Olympics & Paralympics
The Director, Olympic Transport Operations is a key leadership role with a primary responsibility for providing operational oversight and management for the On Location Olympic Transport Operation. This role will need to have a strong understanding of all components of event transportation such as route planning, logistics management, event staffing, command center operations, motor coach staging, venue dynamics, customer experience, communications, and technology management. They will work closely and collaborate with other Directors, Managers, & Coordinators across On Location in creating a positive environment focused on executing with excellence and development of an efficient & consistent set of transportation event processes and offerings Including implementing uniform training programs around all processes. This leader will play a key role in managing existing transport vendors, staff clients as well as bringing new ones on board.
We are looking for someone with strong leadership capabilities and an innate desire to help people. You have strategic decision-making & negotiation skills, are adaptable and have a strong customer focus. You can professionally represent On Location as a leader in the sports travel, event services, and transportation industry. It is preferred that this individual have an existing network of experiences and relationships in transportation and event services industry.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Olympic Specific Duties:
- The position will work with the Overall Lead to build a transportation department that will support On Location’s Olympic clients & the Commercial Hospitality program (packaged D2C offerings that include tickets offered with optional hotel rooms, event access, excursions, transportation, and other services).
- Support Olympic team with the management of all planning and on-site elements for the selected Olympics hospitality program.
- Support and manage On Location Olympic Transport Operations (Paris ’24) for the Commercial Hospitality program including, but not limited to Operations & Vendor procurement, Command center, inventory management, technology, client communication, corporate clients, and Paralympic team.
- Creating and managing all program operational documents including staff manuals, contact lists, work plans, timelines, and recaps.
- Support team with the management of all planning and on-site elements for the selected Olympics hospitality program.
- Work with IOC and OCOG’s to understand program priorities and develop an operational plan in line with their vision.
- Organize and lead site inspections to Olympic locations, venues, areas of operations. Scheduling time with various agencies that will be partners (public transportation, airport, main service provider and more.)
- Represent On Location to all agencies, sponsors, partners, and vendors with integrity.
- On boarding and training of larger transport team leaders.
- Assisting with pre-program staff communications and onsite staff training.
- Managing vendor partners for Olympic sporting events and working closely with client contact.
- Inventory management.
- Understanding of Olympic operations preferred (accreditation, Credentialling, VAPP process, Inventory, volunteers & staff management.)
- Sourcing, design, and direction for Transportation command center set up onsite. Interaction with client contact(s) as required.
- Manage driver stakeholder program ensuring Drivers receive adequate training, housing, meals, breaks, scheduling information so they can perform their job to the highest ability.
- Venue transportation planning, route design, safety, and security evaluation.
- Work with support services as needed for Olympic projects and events.
- Manages operational budget for all Transport needs.
- Foster relationships with team leads and Olympic staff members.
- Supports Olympic Experiences team with the preparation of event materials throughout the planning and execution of events.
- Work in conjunction and communicate diligently as it relates to Olympic Transport with various departments including, but not limited to:
1. Product Architecture, Hotel Accommodations, Operations, and Event Experiences.
2. Cultivate a working knowledge of all operations events and services.
3. Managing and responding to pre-program guest special requests.
4. Liaising with vendors.
5. Monitoring of project expenses to guarantee adherence to established budget parameters.
Department Strategy & Management:
- Daily management and direction of Transportation team & business operations.
- Provide operational leadership, supervision, mentorship, and support the team.
- Manage multiple roles, priorities, and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Provide leadership and direction in developing long-range goals and growth plans that consider transportation management best practices, strategic partnerships, technology solutions, and staffing strategies.
- Recruit, develop, motivate, and retain full-time staff through the growth plans, coaching, mentoring, teamwork, mutual respect, and maintenance of the highest level of professionalism.
- Develop and maintain a network of experienced and trusted contractors for transportation execution on events.
- Propose and execute processes, procedures, and technologies that maximize effectiveness and efficiency for transportation execution.
- Expand our ability to identify and track opportunities to improve quality.
- Work closely with project leaders to adjust, document, and implement our event processes.
- Establish operational accountability (e.g., checklists, quality assurance tests) for the transportation team and share best practices across event teams.
- Identification and implementation of operational efficiencies.
- Manage by example, model our core values, and set the pace for the rest of the team while inspiring creativity and innovation.
Client & Account management:
- Ongoing client relationship management with existing and new clients.
- Develop consistent client management strategies to grow our business by acquiring new events, clients, and growth within our existing client base by Identifying further sales and service opportunities with existing clients.
- Develop productive working relationships with clients by deploying effective, regular communication strategies that enhance guest transportation experiences & drive repeat business.
- Represent clients and company at city-wide transportation planning meetings.
- Work with clients as needed to identify specific needs and expectations and update budgets and operational plans accordingly.
- Train staff on transportation management and identify key logistical points and procedures to communicate to staff.
- Manage the contracting process for staff and agencies, including negotiations, escalations, approvals/signatures for mutually “win-win” solutions, and ensure On Location receives the best available rates in the market.
- Provide logistics planning and execution, transportation consultation and customer service for large scale event operations (Domestic & International.)
- Development, documentation, and implementation of specific event transportation procedures and operational plans.
- Perform situation analysis and decision making.
- On-site event execution when/as requested.
- Identify transportation technology solutions and assist with deploying across various events.
- Reference Vendor database to assist with developing and responding to transportation RFP’s.
- Contract development, review, and negotiations (vendor or client.)
- Ability to form and grow strategic industry partnerships.
Financial Management and Reporting:
- Work with executives to establish revenue goals for each event and implement strategies to attain such goals.
- Build and monitor transportation staff budgets and manage post event results & client surveys to ensure brand quality standards are achieved.
- Present transportation reports tailored to the specific event or client.
- Analyze and review financials relating to post-event sales, event expenses, payments, reconciliations, client reporting, and general ledger allocations.
- Maintain the collection, input, and documentation of event summary information (e.g., historic sales reporting, event surveys, financial client reporting, actuals to accounting, and check approvals).
- Working knowledge of financial statements and forecast/budgets.
Sales and Marketing:
- Assist with developing marketing plans and sales materials as it relates to recruiting and attracting candidates.
- Work in conjunction with and communicate closely with other departments as it relates to major events such as Marketing by assisting with website support by providing relevant content, preparing collateral materials, implement innovative ideas, and ensuring the accuracy of information.
- Support team with the preparation of event materials throughout the planning and execution of events.
Management & Training:
- Develop a collaborative environment effective at reviewing the efficiency and accuracy of our processes and identifying and implementing improvements in a timely fashion.
- Work with Senior Managers and Managers to design, document, and implement operational training programs and best practices for the event teams.
- Develop training materials and coordinate training program.
- Drive focus on Continuous Quality Improvement.
- Conduct Event Team and Leadership Team meetings, as needed.
- Provide leadership / feedback on process development / improvement during meetings.
- Participate in post-event review meetings regularly.
- Conduct process review/improvement meetings regularly.
- Reconcile all charges made on Company-issued credit card.
- Directing and supervising all aspects of the Transportation team, including work assignments, payroll/timesheets, time-off requests, and periodic reviews.
- Approve on-site staff travel arrangements for each event.
- Approve per diems and expense reports for staff travel.
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with team on a regular basis.
- Conduct team meetings, as needed.
- Review and approve check requests submitted for events.
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite and in particular Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Team Management: 1-on-1’s with team on a regular basis, performance management, team development, staff interviewing, training, reinforcement of & accountability for processes
- Conduct reviews and provide input on merit increases.
- Drive focus on Continuous Quality Improvement.
- Participate in post-event review meetings regularly.
- Conduct process review/improvement meetings regularly to address complaints and resolve problems.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work; Appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees.
Must be adaptable with work and travel schedule and be available to travel for work which may include extended work hours during nights, weekends, and holidays. International travel may be required throughout the year, including extended periods of remote work within local offices within host cities. Expected travel may range from 30-40% annually and require 40+ days of continuous travel during Olympic games (Pre-Games + Games Times).
- A dedicated home office space.
- Must have the ability to provide a high-speed DSL or cable modem for a home office. A minimum standard speed of 10x1 (10mbs download x 1mbs upload) is required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the employee's activities, duties, or responsibilities for this job. Duties, obligations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality or a related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience in a management position (minimum of 10+ years), preferably in the transportation, event logistics field, and/or travel and hospitality industry.
- Olympic & International event experience required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comfortable working in an international environment.
- Technology forward thinking, can source and adopt new computer programs easily.
- Public Speaking.
- Exceptionally organized; Ability to service multiple assignments simultaneously and working on several projects at one time.
- Excellent time-management, organizational and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills and ability to implement solutions quickly.
- International or Olympic specific event experience.
- Fluent in French or Italian.
- Have an existing network of experiences and relationships in event services industry.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills – a collaborative style and ability to communicate effectively at all levels with strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective communication, both verbal and written, with clients, associates, vendors, and other business professionals.
- A proven record of accomplishment of strong personal effectiveness in which imaginative and distinctive leadership have been demonstrated.
- Continually strive for self-development and discovering better means of accomplishing both personal and professional goals.
- Deep and personal commitment to the Core Values of On Location.
- A proven track record of successful relationship building and maintenance.
- A proven track record of recognizing employees with energy, enthusiasm, and creativity.
- A proven track record of strong personal effectiveness in which you have demonstrated imaginative and distinctive leadership.
OUR CORE VALUES
As the leading experiences company in the world, we strive to be the most innovative and passionate — the best of the best. We uphold these values in our quest for excellence:
- Exceed all service expectations with our customers, our partners, and each other.
- Create value by enriching people's lives.
- Do the right thing and bring others along with us — always.
- Propel the power of diversity, in thought, team and experience.
- Partner to generate win-win solutions.
- Ignite and empower our team's entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exude respect and gratitude — treat others as you would want to be treated.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
On Location is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or genetic information.