Digital News Editor - Olympic Channel Services
Responsible for working closely with the Tokyo2020 digital team, the successful candidate will be managing a team of editors with specific languages content streams
Contract from November 2019 and extends until August 2020
Location: Tokyo, Japan
At Olympic Channel Services we are looking for a news editor who will help develop and execute global multi-platform content plan in six languages. This person, based in Tokyo, will be responsible for working closely with the Tokyo2020 digital team and leading communication between the teams. This person will manage a team of six editors, each responsible for a specific language's content stream.
We're looking for someone with passion for the Olympic Games to help us find and tell innovative, compelling stories in a creative and collaborative environment. This international team will create and sustain the international language sections (English, French, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin and Hindi) of the official website of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, which will launch in February 2020.
How to apply: please send your CV with your name and job title ‘ Digital News Editor‘ on the subject line.
The Olympic Channel is a digital-first, multiplatform global Olympic media entity, where fans can experience the power of sport and the Olympic Movement all year round. The primary objectives of the Olympic Channel are the following:
- Provide a platform for the continuous exposure of Olympic sports and athletes beyond the Olympic Games period and help create anticipation while providing opportunities to "re-live the experience" after the Games
- Continuously highlight the relevance of the Olympic Movement's ideals to the challenges of today's world
- Provide a platform for sharing the IOC's very rich patrimonial assets and archives with the world and create additional value and content for the IOC archives
- As a matter of priority, engage the young generations around the world using methods that are relevant to them, building understanding, entertainment and education.
The Olympic Channel team is composed of experienced broadcast professionals and innovative content-producers working out of two main bases of operation. The commercial and distribution departments are located at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and the technical and production units operate out of Madrid, Spain.
At Olympic Channel Services we are looking for a news editor who will help develop and execute global multi-platform content plan in six languages. This person, based in Tokyo, will be responsible for working closely with the Tokyo2020 digital team and leading communication between the teams. This person will manage a team of six editors, each responsible for a specific language's content stream.We're looking for someone with passion for the Olympic Games to help us find and tell innovative, compelling stories in a creative and collaborative environment. This international team will create and sustain the international language sections (English, French, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin and Hindi) of the official website of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, which will launch in February 2020.
- Lead all content efforts, coordinate compelling storytelling in six languages (English, French, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin and Hindi) across all platforms
- Work closely with Madrid-based news editor counterpart, creating effective team bridging global team of editors and content creators.
- Manage team of six editors, each responsible for a language, plus work in close collaboration with social media team in both Madrid and Tokyo
- Work closely with Tokyo2020 Japanese-language team, fostering clear communication
- Coordinate/collaborate with Editor in Chief, Tokyo2020 digital team on best practices for content creation
- Set the priorities for content creation, production across all platforms
- Develop innovative, inclusive storytelling that incorporates the Olympic family ecosystem to allow for greatest amplification, distribution of content
- Create cross-platform content plans in collaboration with variety of stakeholders, including commercial partners
- Put the Olympic fan at the centre of the conversation
- Find efficiencies among languages yet develop unique, authentic stories for each
- Establish a consistent tone and voice, engaging and appealing to Olympic fans across all platforms
- Comfortable using data to help inform decisions
- Responsible for real-time publishing, updating of content in fast-paced, pressure-filled environment
- Ensure all content meets IOC standards for integrity and production quality
- Help develop and implement an efficient global 24/7 workflow
Education and Experience:
- Experience with web content management systems
- Experience in a similar position, coordinating a consumer-facing website
- Solid news judgment, ability to think quickly and act appropriately under pressure
- Strong knowledge of Olympic sports
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practices and what drives fan interest
- Proficient in using social media tools, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Fluent in Japanese and English; other languages a plus
- At ease in international environment
- Self-starter, plus ability to work in a team; adaptability in changing environment
- In sync with Olympic values of friendship, excellence, respect
- Positive, open-minded personality
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Work weekends, nights, holidays as required
- Detail-oriented, organized, effective multitasking
Workplace and Environment
- Fast paced work environment;
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks;
- Position commences in November 2019 and extends until August 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.