Job Title: Commercial Manager
Location: Head Office, Leeds (maybe flexible)
Salary Range: £30,000 per annum plus performance related bonus
Responsible to: Chief Operating Officer
Application Closing Date: 22 August 2019
Interview date: w/c 26 August 2019
About British Weight Lifting
As the UK's recognised Governing Body for Weight Lifting and Para-Powerlifting, our role is to inspire a nation of Weight Lifters and Para-Powerlifters through exceptional leadership and expertise.
We are responsible for the growth and success of Weight Lifting and Para-Powerlifting at every level. Our work sees us support a network of Weight Lifting bodies, clubs and gyms across the UK, as well as the thousands of people actively involved in Olympic and Paralympic Weight Lifting disciplines.
We strive to deliver exceptional training programmes, educational structures and competitions that create opportunities for individuals to participate and excel in our sport. Whether you’re an aspiring Weightlifter or Para-Powerlifter at your local club or an elite athlete competing on the international stage, we are here to help you fulfil your potential.
Our mission is to revolutionise the way our nation engages in Weight Lifting, Para-Powerlifting, weight bearing and training activities by creating opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to participate. We believe that we can play an important role in making weight lifting a part of everyday, and a means to tackle national inactivity. In doing so, we believe we can help create a healthier, happier and stronger nation.
Our 2016 to 2021 strategy outlines how we aim to achieve these goal; our objectives are to:
Increase national activity in weight lifting, bearing and training activities
Promote inclusivity and diversity to create opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to easily get involved in the sport
Become global leader in Weightlifting, on and off the platform
Maximise investment, partnerships and good governance to drive the growth of the sport
The Board and employees of BWL are passionate about, and committed to, working to our set of values:
- Care – maintain integrity and respectful relations with all our stakeholders, customers, partners, suppliers, BWL employees and communities
- Share – expertise, knowledge, passion, enjoyment and innovation
- Dare – to make a difference to solve problems and achieve goals that drive performance and the sport forwards in a collaborative manner
Main purpose of the Job:
To promote and develop the BWL’s commercial potential, including new income streams, commercial sponsorship to support BWL activities and affinity schemes for BWL members.
Great autonomous entrepreneurial role in ambitious organisation. Make it clear we don’t need a passion for weightlifting - just Elite sport.
- Identify key areas of the BWL’s operations and activities of interest to third parties; develop proposals, plans and actions to use these to secure incremental income.
- Produce a detailed plan outlining the main commercial avenues for investigation; highlight priorities and set out a realistic action plan and approach to deliver income and results.
- Contact and work closely with identified potential and established partners to secure new contracts, maintain current contracts, and seek increased return opportunities.
- Advise on and help develop the overall direction of the BWL’s commercial operations including the membership package, insurance scheme and online shop.
- Work with companies and mainstream brands to develop affinity schemes and discount packages for the benefit of BWL members.
- Generate sponsorship for the GB, England and Northern Ireland Weightlifting and Para-Powerlifting teams and key activities and events in the BWL’s annual calendar
- Advise on the development and commercial viability of existing and new products and services of relevance to members.
- Manage and develop the BWL’s policy on commercial partnerships and sponsorship.
- Provide monthly progress reports and forecasts of new income secured; deliver agreed incremental income targets in each financial year.
- Support grant applications for government funding as appropriate.
- Work with the CEO and Senior Management Team to ensure the alignment of new commercial activities with the BWL’s overall strategic objectives and direction.
- Attend occasional meetings of the BWL Board of Directors as required.
- Other tasks which the BWL may from time to time ask you to undertake.
The person specification describes the experience, qualifications, knowledge, skills and abilities that BWL are looking for.
- An energetic and committed commercial professional with a positive and entrepreneurial approach and strong interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter with a track record in initiating, planning and delivering commercial success at a senior level.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience – weightlifting is not essential but with an understanding of elite sport.
- Experience of delivering success against agreed targets.
- Understanding and experience of developing partnerships; current knowledge of the sports sponsorship and fundraising environment.
- Effective and persuasive communicator, verbal and written, and someone who delivers what is agreed; strong presentation skills.
- An individual who generates trust and confidence in partners, colleagues and other parties, and can work under pressure and to deadlines.
- A passion for sports and experience working in the sports industry.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and digital communications and media.
- A strong understanding of budget management, forecasting and delivery.
- Ability to work closely with colleagues across all BWL departments.
- Willingness to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Business degree.
- Experience of working for a membership organisation.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Research and analysis experience.
Salary and Benefits
- The starting salary range for the position will be £30,000, plus performance related bonus depending on experience and qualifications. Salaries are reviewed each year in April.
- BWL offers 26 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays.
- BWL offers a company pension scheme.
Commitment to Equality
BWL is a recognised equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender.
Application and Selection Process
- Please email your CV by the deadline of 22 August 2019
- Please download the application form via the link in 'Additional Information' section below and upload this to the Cover Letter section of your application (please note completion of this is optional)
- Short-listing will take place as soon as possible once applications close. Please can you indicate clearly on your application a telephone number where you can be contacted during office hours (9.00 am – 5.00 pm).
- Successful applicants will be contacted via email/letter with information relating to the interview time, location and format.
- If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.