Cluster Venue Technical Services Manager
FIFA and the Qatar LOC have created a new Joint Venture which will be responsible for the operational delivery of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.
This is a coordinating managerial role within the local entity responsible for overseeing the planning for, and the successful operation of, the FIFA World Cup 2022.
The Cluster Venue Technical Services Manager (CVTSM) will work with the Senior Manager, and alongside the FIFA technical service and infrastructure team (based in Zurich) to oversee the delivery and operation of technical services and overlay at a cluster of FIFA World Cup 2022 official sites. You will provide expert functional knowledge, experience and technical leadership on key delivery areas. You will interpret FIFA infrastructure requirements in the specific context of Qatar, develop detailed implementation strategies with Host Country counterparts, and oversee their successful delivery. You will work extensively with host country organisers who hold budgetary, contracting and installation responsibility for permanent infrastructure and overlay delivery.
The CVTSM will oversee and monitor the planning and delivery of some or all of the following, as part of Technical Services team. Therefore in-depth knowledge and experience of the planning/design, set-up and operational of several of the following areas is sought:
- Temporary overlay structures: tents, modular buildings, containers, platforms, bridges, fences
- Temporary Broadcast and Venue Power
- Pitch floodlighting
- Alteration and modification works to stadiums and other legacy facilities
- Overlay hydraulics and plumbing
- Civil works, ground preparation and protection
- Specialist broadcast and media installations
- Event hospitality, catering and retail installations
- Temporary infrastructure supporting security installations
- Audio-visual and entertainment systems
As a senior events professional, the CVTSM will also support other projects within the Technical Services Team’s remit, such as: cabling/containment pathway development and delivery, Q22/FIFA Maps and Drawings, training sites infrastructure planning, FIFA Fan Fests and others.
FWC Qatar 2022 official sites under the responsibility of this role include: stadiums, training sites, the International Broadcast Centre, Main Media Centre, centralised facilities for volunteers / ticketing and others, major draws, official hotels, HQ’s and other tournament-critical, non-competition sites, as required.
- Scoping, specification and planning for the operation of integrated temporary and permanent/legacy infrastructure services in stadiums and other FWC Qatar 2022 official sites.
- Provide expert technical leadership in relation to technical services and overlay, particularly temporary overlay structures, or event power systems.
- Oversee the complete lifecycle of the Technical Services and Overlay projects, ensuring that FIFA requirements and the event’s best interests are met.
- Ensure that technical and infrastructure requirements are collected, clearly communicated, and implemented by the organization(s) responsible for delivery.
- Act as a liaison between representatives of the Host Country, the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (holding direct contracting and delivery responsibility for infrastructure), the FIFA Stadium and Infrastructure Department, and with Qatar 2022 or FIFA Functional Area representatives in relation to their infrastructure needs.
- Facilitate and assist Host Country authorities in interpreting FIFA requirements, with the aim of finding high-quality, appropriate, and sustainable solutions.
- Guide or manage the contractors and partner organisations directly delivering infrastructure services for the FIFA World Cup.
- Assessment of the sufficiency and acceptability of infrastructure solutions proposed by Host Country, and those ultimately delivered by their contractors.
- Oversee the successful operation of infrastructure and technical services, during the FIFA World Cup operational period, all preceding events and test events.
- Fulfill the role of venue manager during the 2021 Arab Cup test event.
- Effectively manage resources for successful project delivery.
- Support site-based venue technical services managers during installation and operations periods, including issue response and resolution, occasional venue relief/rotation shifts, and central coordination activities from HQ.
- Monitor technical services operations during tournament operational periods, including collection and processing of operational/performance/consumption data.
- Any other duties that may be required.
Qualifications and experience
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field, or trade qualifications combined with extensive practical experience gained in applied technical roles (e.g. event/stage technician, electrician, rigger, etc.) required.
- Project management qualifications preferred.
- Delivery experience of large multi-venue events with a focus on technical services discipline(s) desired, preferably at multiple/varied international football tournaments and/or major events, encompassing operational planning, design, build/installation, and operations.
- Managerial experience in the planning, specification, design and delivery of technical services infrastructure at international football tournament(s) and/or major international sporting event(s).
- A minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in technical planning, and project or programme management, including dealing with a large number of internal/external stakeholders.
- A minimum of 3 years’ event work experience preferably in technical roles, specifically including experience in major international sporting events within relevant areas (Power, Overlay, Broadcast, and/or Technology).
- Experienced in the development and analysis of technical drawings and designs.
- Extensive stakeholder management experience at all levels, ideally including interaction with event sponsors, government authorities, utilities companies, statutory authorities such as building control / building assessors / electrical regulators.
- Direct experience of working in both a professional corporate-style office environment, and in a busy site (installation/construction) environment required.
- Experienced and capable working in an environment of rapid change, sometimes under intense pressure. Handles stress well individually, and is able to support subordinates and colleagues in such an environment.
- Comfortable working in a multicultural and international environment.
- Other duties as required.
Languages and Skills
- English fluency – spoken and written, required. Confident communicator.
- Advanced skills in MS Office required (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Familiarity reading and interpreting, and contributing to the development of technical design drawings.
- Familiarity with planning software and online collaboration tools (MS Project, BIM 360, SharePoint).
- Technical drawing skills an advantage (Autocad, Revit).