Chief Riding Instructor - Beas River Equestrian Centre
Our Equestrian Affairs Department aims to fulfil the Club’s vision to promote riding as a sport and raise participation and standards at all levels, from beginner through to elite. It manages the Member’s facility at the Beas River Country Club and three public riding schools at Tuen Mun, Pok Fu Lam and Lei Yue Mun. The Beas River Equestrian Centre (BREC) houses over 250 horses and is the largest in Hong Kong. It provides world class facilities encompassing a riding school, livery yard, competition centre, rehabilitation and retraining unit, as well as a spelling unit for Hong Kong’s racehorses.
The Club seeks to attract an outstanding equestrian professional to lead the team at Beas River.
- In collaboration with the Operations Manager ensure the effective and efficient running of the stable operations, ensuring an excellent standard of horse care across all units;
- oversee the management of the BREC Riding School to ensure it provides an excellent level of service to Club Members and their guests;
- oversee the management of the BREC rehabilitation and re-training unit (RTU), ensuring optimal distribution of retired racehorses;
- in collaboration with the EMEA, Performance Manager and Senior Discipline Coaches, provide input into the development of elite sport programmes, ensuring the necessary resources and support to the National Youth Squad;
- ensure excellent care of the Member’s livery horses, ensuring the highest standards of customer care;
- undertake regular inspections of the Centre and report to the Operations Manager the need for ongoing maintenance and repair, with the aim of maintaining BREC as a world class facility;
- work with the maintenance team, ensure that the management of the equestrian arena footing is managed appropriately and meets the needs of all activities and users;
- provide limited equestrian coaching services to Members and staff as required;
- support the department with promoting awareness of equestrian sport and improving the quality of competitive riding in Hong Kong through assisting with the running of successful equestrian events at local, national and international levels for Members and the general public at BREC;
- drive continuous improvement in all operations and related services by seeking feedback and input through communication with internal and external stakeholders;
- contribute to providing excellent services to Members by sharing members’ feedback with the EMEA, Operations Manager and relevant colleagues for improvement actions on all aspects of the BREC operations;
- undertake any other duties as assigned by the EMEA or senior management.
- have a minimum of a BHS Instructor certificate or equivalent qualification
- have a minimum of 10 years of relevant equestrian experience, particularly with a background in riding school management
- have extensive experience of riding and training horses from early handling to maturity; experience of working with ex-racehorses and re-training them for equestrian use is a distinct advantage
- have expert knowledge of the management, care and training of horses and sound knowledge of equestrian centre management
- have fluency in written and spoken English with good IT skills; proficiency in spoken Cantonese would be an advantage
- be customer-centric and have empathy when dealing with members
- have leadership and coaching skills and be able to work effectively as a team and instil a team culture in a multi-cultural environment
- have knowledge of child protection and safeguarding protocols.
Terms of Employment
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Contract employment will be offered to the successful candidate. Contract renewal will be subject to mutual agreement between the Club and the individual.
Closing date for applications is 22 November 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
You are welcome to contact the Executive Manager, Equestrian Affairs
How to apply
Please send your resume, complete with expected salary