Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
We are currently recruiting for a Chief Marketing and Communications Officer to join the executive management team of the Birmingham 2022 Organising Committee. This fantastic opportunity will encompass the full remit of modern communications (owned, earned and paid) and will not only drive forward the integrated communications efforts of the Organising Committee, but act as a spokesperson / ambassador for the Games leading international external relations, engagement and public affairs.
This challenging and exciting role will play a pivotal role in the build up to the Games balancing a wide range of internal and external relationships to ensure the Organising Committee leverages all opportunities available to it. It will appeal to anyone with a passion and flair for Public Relations and Communications and is comfortable operating in partnership with government agencies, public bodies and the local/national/international press.
- Provide strategic direction and lead the ongoing development and delivery of the Organising Committee's integrated communications efforts. Including, but not limited to; marketing, public relations, public affairs, and engagement
- Strengthen and protect the Birmingham 2022 brand, building the Games profile through compelling media, stakeholder and consumer engagement programmes
- Lead the cross-partner Strategic Communications Group to ensure all communications are coordinated and integrated to uphold the shared vision to stage an inspirational Birmingham 2022 that showcases the city, region, nation and Commonwealth
- Act as a spokesperson and ambassador for Birmingham 2022, hosting press conferences and conducting media briefings and interviews where relevant
- Work in partnership with government agencies and public bodies to protect the Birmingham 2022 brand from ambush marketing, and to communicate and enforce this positively with individuals and organisations throughout the Commonwealth
- Provide advice and counsel to the Chairperson, Chief Executive and other members of the Executive Management team on issues of sensitivity, political impact, corporate strategy and corporate reputation
- Oversee all Organising Committee communications (internal and external) to ensure consistent, high quality and engaging material is produced in line with the vision, mission and brand
Please see the job description for a full list of responsibilities and accountabilities
Skills and Experience
- Significant senior experience in media / public relations in large high-profile multi-national organisation/s
- A track record of managing significant budgets and experience of out-sourcing contracts and contractor/supplier relationships
- Substantive and significant experience of successfully working at senior/board level
- Proven experience to motivate and inspire a broad team through effective leadership and development
- Considerable experience of leading brand and marketing strategies and projects
- Significant relevant experience in design and development of Public Relations communication strategies and tools
- Demonstrated communicator with influence, who is inspirational, dynamic and has excellent negotiating skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, frequently under pressure, on multiple tasks
- Results driven with operational capability to deliver a significant element of a large multi-sport event
- Evidence of continuing education, particularly in digital and new media
- Experience in the field of sport (particularly in major multi sports or single sports events), or major projects would be well regarded
Salary - Negotiable - commensurate with experience
This position is subject to a Basic criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer and we encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities. We are working towards achieving Leaders in Diversity through the National Centre for Diversity. The principles "FREDIE" (Fairness - Respect - Equality - Diversity - Inclusion and Engagement) support our aim of delivering a truly inclusive and accessible games.
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. If you wish for your application to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme, please submit a completed form with your application, which can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.
To apply for this role please follow the link and complete the application attaching a single document containing your CV and Covering Letter. Please also submit your disability confident/ reasonable adjustments form (if required).
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
We take your data privacy seriously. Before sending your application please review our applicant privacy notice which explains how we use your personal data. This can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.