Automation Test Engineer
The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and generates significant revenue to support investment into English football each year.
The FA oversees England international teams across men's, women's, youth and disability football, as well as running the National League System and FA Competitions including the Emirates FA Cup, Barclays FA Women's Super League, FA Women's Championship, and Vitality Women's FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George's Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET
Technology is key to the FA's transformation. From supporting grassroots via our day-to-day digital presence, to using data-led insights to drive the game - to developing future focused platforms for professional football - our Digital Technology team is central to our future.
Whilst investment in technology to make the experience of all participants relevant and easy, is already at the heart of how we can serve the game, we are looking to invest even further and deliver in a more iterative way, forming product lines and fully moving towards an Agile, Product Management framework.
By 2024, we will upgrade and simplify our core football administration system (moving from Whole Game System to Platform for Football) and provide enhanced capability to England teams.
Our product lines cover all those that RUN, PLAY, LEARN as well as our responsibility to REGULATE, WIN and leverage DATA whilst also ensuring sufficient focus on the CORE BUSINESS online and PLATFORMS that support each product and service across the organisation.
Join us in helping to DECIDE THE GAME and HAVE THE DIGITAL WORLD AT YOUR FEET.
The Role and Key Accountabilities
Ensure automated testing activities are carried out across all FA application under test. This includes converting manual regression test scripts on new features and enhancements into automated scripts that run daily against the test environments. Maintaining and enhancing the automation framework so ensure automation coverage is as broad as possible.
- Design, implement, run and maintain automated test suites across all applications under test
- Develop API and GUI automation that covers regression tests, integrations test and end to end sanity tests
- Maintain and enhance the automation test frameworks.
- Maintain the code Repositories and Pipelines within the DevOps hosting platform
- Work with DevOps team to deliver CI/CD for the automation suite so that all checked in code is regression tested and results are circulated to the project teams
- Proactively report back to the QA Manager on both project deliverables and process effectiveness
- Monitor and help other automation test analysts to deliver the automation strategy
- Interact with manual Test Analysts to understand the Applications under test and learn the Application workflows which need to be automated
- Identify and document any issues found in the applications under test. Work closely with the Product Owners, BAs, Architects and Developers to investigate and resolve application problems and process issues where required.
- Help to compile data used for building appropriate and robust test environments.
- Proactively recommend innovative automation ideas to reduce the manual effort and increase the code coverage at all levels of the testing pyramid
- Help to produce and enhance automation metrics such as test coverage to mitigate risk
- Proactively seek to evolve testing and quality assurance through continuous process improvements.
- Gather metrics and KPI's to support continuous process improvement within the team
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
What we are looking for
- Experience in a testing role including Test Automation.
- Responsibility for writing, running and maintaining automated test suits
- Experience with automation tools at a GUI and/or API level
- Knowledge of automated test tools such as Selenium, Cucumber, IntelliJ, RestAssured or equivalent
- Knowledge of Java or any other programming languages
- Knowledge of Azure DevOps, TFS, Jenkins or GIT
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and software testing lifecycle.
- ISEB or ISTQB certified - Foundation level.
- Self-motivated with a willingness to work independently or collaboratively within a team structure
- Concise verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using test frameworks such as TestNG, Junit and xUnit
- Experience of testing on mobile platforms
- Experience with databases (Microsoft SQL Server preferred)
- Experience using Azure DevOps
- Experience in functional and non-functional testing of web based applications
- Experience working with Agile / Scrum development methodologies
- Knowledge of deploying builds to dev and test environments
- Experience with agile defect / sprint management tools like Jira, Zephyr, and Confluence
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies
- Passion for and knowledge of grassroots Football
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary.
Please be aware that unless you are on a homebased contract, your contract with The FA will specify a fixed location of either Wembley Stadium, St. George's Park or our Processing Centre.
We currently work within a hybrid working model whereby the expectation is to work from your contractual location for part of the week, and as and when required by the team. The remaining days can be worked remotely. We will continue to monitor this model and it may be adjusted in future if deemed necessary.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your application.