Project Manager, Fed Cup, Hopman Cup and new events
Overview of Department:
Davis Cup and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas are the two main properties of the ITF. These two competitions are the largest national team events in sport. It is the role of the Event Operations department to work closely with National Associations (NA’s) to ensure that we deliver world-class events that are seen as essential to players, nations and media. Event Operations ensures that these events are organised to the same high sporting standards everywhere in the world and that that the contractual rights of the international sponsors are delivered efficiently and accurately.
We are looking for an experienced event project manager with proven track record in event operations within sport and with experience of sponsorship rights delivery and on-site activation. You will also have managed people and ideally will have worked within sports competition operations.
With a history of delivering high standard of events, you must have extensive operational planning and project management skills with demonstrable relationship building abilities embracing a hands-on approach when needed but able and confident to delegate too - and all in an international and fast-moving environment.
Fed Cup 2020 and Hopman Cup
In conjunction with the Director, Professional Tennis Events devise, maintain and deliver a Project Plan for the Fed Cup Qualifying and Finals 2020 and the Hopman Cup
- Responsible for delivery on an operational level, of high-quality events ensuring compliance with the Project Plan
o Monitor the progress of the Project Plan and ensure timelines and action points are adhered to dealing with any issues or delays
o Take responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of the Plan sharing information as required
o Travel to the Fed Cup Finals location (TBC) and to Hopman Cup location (TBC) on a regular basis to attend meetings and site visits with NA’s and other key stakeholders
o Manage the Fed Cup Finals Qualifying stages, overseeing the team that deliver these events
- Regular review of processes and procedures to ensure continual evolution of the events offering new and creative solutions to improve on delivery and management
- Help to raise the profile of these events as part of the ITF Advantage All campaign
- Be the ‘go to’ person for all commercial, operational and political issues, liaising with other departments as necessary
- Ensure Senior Management are informed as required
Internal and External Relationships & Communication
- Be the ITF point of contact for NA’s for all relevant issues for the Finals & Hopman Cup and any other new events for which you are given responsibility
- Report regularly to Executive Director on progress of both events including prompt elevation of any issues
- Attend events as main ITF operational contact and manage any team members associated with this
- Ensure smooth and timely flow of information relating to both events in and out of department to NA’s and all relevant ITF departments
- Be responsible for ensuring that everyone within team is kept informed on any updates from other departments and maintain a good flow of communication and information
- Be a key point of contact for the Event Operations team members for when assistance is required relating to the day-to-day operations of Fed Cup Qualifying and Finals
- Maintain a good working knowledge of both Fed Cup and Davis Cup at all stages of the competition
- Responsible for overseeing operations of Fed Cup Finals Draws
- Attend other Fed Cup and Davis Cup ties and site visits as required
- Provide reports for and attend Fed Cup Committee meetings as necessary
- Oversee security arrangements with the ITF Security Consultant
- Manage GDPR compliance for department
- Manage the team to ensure they are engaged, developing and learning, that they are on-board and positive
- Monitor performance; coach and mentor team members
- Identify key talent and areas of strength in the team
- Provide continuous feedback and encourage a team where open and honest communication is the norm
- Measure successes of team and individuals, consider resourcing needs, identify training needs
- Be an inspiring leader!
You will have...
- Experience of working in an international environment
- Strong and proven event management experience relating to high profile sporting events, ideally tennis-related
- Experience of people management.
- Experience of working on draft contracts / legal aspects of events management would be highly beneficial
- A strong analytical head for looking at playing formats, analysing sporting stats etc.
- Sponsorship / on-site activation experience
- Tried and tested planning skills – ability to prioritise and work on own initiative.
- Excellent time management, skilled in delivery of multiple projects and delivering to hard deadlines
- Strong communication and negotiation skills with a professional approach
- First-rate decision-making and delegation skills
- Integrity and accountability
- Commercial awareness with diplomacy and tact too
- Sound knowledge of the current tennis landscape and good understanding of the industry dynamics
- The ability to use own initiative
- A minimum of one foreign language essential in addition to English (fluent written and spoken)
- A good sense of fun and humour and be a team player
- Flexibility. Hours can be long and weekend travel is part of the role
What we offer….
- Excellent salary plus discretionary bonus scheme
- Lunch is provided by the ITF (up to £8 per day) at on-site facilities
- 25 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Group personal pension scheme / Life assurance (subject to conditions)
- Ride2Work (in conjunction with Evans Cycles)
- Free parking on site plus use of gym, classes and pool (small charge)
- Core 35 hour week from Mon – Fri (although weekend work and longer hours are a part of the role when travelling)
This job specification should in no way be deemed a complete and definitive description of the job requirements. Responsibilities may be expanded or reduced at any time as deemed appropriate by management.