Head of Performance
Job Title: Head of Performance
Department: CFC Women's Team
Location: Cobham Training Ground
- To co-ordinate the provision of sports science across the women's 1st team, WSLA squad and regional talent club programmes.
- Manage & lead the development of long-term load & athletic development planning - ensuring injury risk management & performance enhancement.
- Act to reduce the risk of injury occurrence throughout the pathway through the development of appropriate screening and injury prevention strategies.
- Design and/or enhance existing evidence-based protocols for return to train and return to play processes.
- Lead and co-ordinate the MDT support for longer-term injured players, including the management of detailed planning and tracking for such athletes.
- To create relationships with MDT staff, coaches, players and the wider business staff to facilitate strong operational delivery and deliver the strategic aims for CFC Women.
- To liaise closely with the Manager, General Manager and Technical Director (RTC) regarding the current and longer-term performance of the athletes and squads.
- To oversee appropriate Continuous Professional Development training for all CFC Women staff in the Sports Science disciplines.
- To ensure the latest clinical, scientific and technical innovations for applied practice are implemented while maintaining the highest level of care.
- To collaborate with other staff to design and implement systems and methodologies to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of the department.
- To manage the budget for these departments in cooperation with the General Manager.
- To engage with CFC men's team staff as required.
- To promote collaboration and knowledge share processes between CFC Women and other CFC teams and departments.
- To liaise closely with national team's medical and performance departments to ensure players medical needs are met during international camps/tournaments.
- An extensive understanding of the various sports science/S&C disciplines and their impact on the training and performance of elite athletes.
- An extensive understanding of scientific methods of trialling and validating assessment, monitoring and evaluation equipment and protocols.
- A strong knowledge of fitness & medical screening/injury profiling in the elite sporting population.
- Knowledge of football operations and of CFC Women /Women's football.
- Clear understanding of relevant regulatory bodies in the industry (Sport Science).
- Understanding of associated topic areas (Coaching/Talent Development/Youth Development/Female Athletes/Sport Medicine/Sport Psychology)
- Extensive experience in the provision of strength and conditioning coaching within high performance sport.
- Extensive experience in conducting scientifically underpinned assessment, monitoring and evaluation procedures. Includes the trialling and validation of equipment and test protocols.
- Experience of using data management systems to ensure the secure and efficient storage of monitoring and evaluation data.
- Knowledge and understanding of IT software and systems.
- Proficient in the use of a PC, Tablets & MS Windows based computer applications.
- Good understanding of MS Excel.
General skills and attributes:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Enthusiasm and willingness to be flexible
- Pro-active and engaging style
- Strong 'can do' approach
- Remain calm under pressure
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Willing to self-evaluate and work towards continuous improvement
- Good understanding of the wider business context
- Good understanding of the flow and process of the football dept.
- Strong organisational and leadership skills
- Process driven
- Able to create good relationships across numerous depts.
- Ability to be flexible in working hours / days
- Managing change and embedding new ways of working.
- Delegation and holding others to account.
- A great ability to reflect on current working practice & implement change where required
- Ability to demonstrate passion & enthusiasm for your work but maintain a high degree of humility in its delivery & when dealing with others.
- Demonstrate a continual desire for improvement
- Passion for football and sports
- Language Skills (European)
- Understanding of women's sport in the UK
- Experience in leadership role within elite sport of minimum 3-5 years.
- Experience as an applied practitioner in Sport Science.
- Experience of working with female athletes
- Experience working within youth development settings
- Educated to degree level within Sports Science/Strength & Conditioning
- Professional accreditation in field of training (e.g. UKSCA/NSCA, BASES or CSP, HCPC and AREA qualified)
Postgraduate qualifications (e.g. MSc/MPhil/MRes)
Further study in the field (such as PhD)
The Employee must at all times carry out his/her responsibilities with due regard to Chelsea FC policies and procedures in particular Health & Safety, Financial Authorisation, Confidentiality and with regard to the Data Protection Act. The Employee must act to protect all young people and vulnerable adults that are in their care or attending the Company's premises. The Employee must report any misconduct or suspected misconduct to the Safeguarding Lead.
Chelsea Football Club and the Foundation is fully committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all children, young people and adults at risk (vulnerable groups) that are in our care or attending our premises. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The Employee must ensure a positive commitment towards equality and diversity by treating others fairly and not committing any form of direct or indirect discrimination, victimisation or harassment of any description and to promote positive working relations amongst Employees and customers.
The above Job Description is not intended to be exhaustive, the duties and responsibilities may therefore vary over time according to the changing needs of the Club.