Team GB Marketing Executive (Fixed Term until Oct 2020)
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Marketing & Communications, Brand Marketing|
|Contract Type||Fixed Term|
Team GB is one of the nation’s most successful sports teams and one of its favourite brands.
The British Olympic Association’s (BOA) vision is to ‘unite and inspire the nation through the power of Olympic sport’, and its mission is to ensure Team GB is ‘the best supported team in Olympic competition’.
The BOA’s primary purpose is to:
- Select, lead and manage Team GB at Olympic and Olympic Winter Games and all International Olympic Committee (IOC) and European Olympic Committee (EOC) accredited events such as Youth Olympic Games, European Youth Olympic Festivals and the European Games, and;
- Develop the Olympic Movement and promote the principles and values of Olympism in our territory of responsibility.
The BOA is independent and privately funded. The success of our mission is entirely dependent upon the income we receive from our commercial programmes, including but not limited to sponsorship, fundraising, licensing and events. The BOA is the United Kingdom’s National Olympic Committee and the strong, independent voice for British Olympic sport responsible for promoting the Olympic movement throughout the UK.
Overview of the Role
The role will provide a key function in supporting the Head of Marketing and Senior Designer in the development of and consideration for the Team GB brand and associated sub-brands and their key activations. This includes close liaison with colleagues to ensure adherence to brand guidelines both internally and externally.
Our ambition remains consistent; we want the nation to help inspire Team GB’s selected athletes to achieve extraordinary things at the Olympic Games. We can do this by delivering a successful Games time campaign, and by creating a specific identity and outpouring of support for the team leading up to and peaking at the Games. This role will be integral to the delivery of the Tokyo 2020 campaign and the development of assets including responsibility for elements of the Team GB branding strategy and management and delivery of branding both in the UK and in-country.
The role involves working very closely with the wider marketing, digital, communications and commercial teams to help execute the campaign and brand communications strategy.
The role will involve a wide range of marketing responsibilities:
1. Support the development of and activation of the Tokyo 2020 Marketing campaign, driving fan and athlete engagement.
- Support in managing the agency relationship with our appointed marketing and PR agency. Provide day-to-day contact and direction for the campaign and execution.
- Support the Head of Marketing and Digital Strategy Manager with planning and delivery of key elements of the campaign.
- Support the communications team with the aim of generating campaign specific media coverage.
- Support the content team with creating campaign content, including film, photography, digital assets
- Help deliver the Team GB Athlete Ambassador programme including developing briefs, content creation and event planning
- Support the coordination of athlete appearances and related marketing opportunities where relevant
- Support any planned influencer programme related to the campaign and content
- Work with the commercial and digital teams as required to represent the Team GB brand to commercial partners, play a role in developing creative ideas that align to the Team GB campaign objectives and deliver on brand contractual elements.
2. Brand health and guardianship – work with the Head of Marketing to ensure the ongoing health of the Team GB brand and associated sub brands through strong brand management and development.
- the ongoing management and application of brand and licensing guidelines both internally and via stakeholders externally
- support the Senior Designer with maintaining good internal systems for creative assets available to all staff development and ongoing maintenance of presentations and infographics and charts to showcase the work of the BOA and Team GB
- support with the planning and implementation of the ongoing quarterly research – ongoing measurement of the brand health
3. Games time branding – Work closely with our in-house graphic designer to implement the Games-time Team GB creative look and feel across all Team GB venues in the UK and Games environments i.e. Tokyo.
- Venue/requirements include, but is not limited to, Kitting Out, Team GB Accommodation, Fan Zones in the UK, campaign collateral, brand packs for each sport, social media content etc.
- This includes; identifying suppliers, working with suppliers to manage costs and delivering a comprehensive branding solution for Tokyo 2020 both in the UK and in Tokyo.
- Work with internal BOA teams and sports to identify their needs for Games time branding and help them to find the appropriate solution
4. Events – Work with the Head of Marketing to ensure the Team GB brand is represented positively at all events. E.g. Team GB ball and Homecoming.
5. Licensing – Support the Head of Licensing and retail and Head of Marketing with licensing activations and platforms. With a specific focus on supporting the development of assets, content planning and stakeholder liaison for the Team GB online shop
This role is critical to the successful implementation of the Tokyo 2020 marketing campaign. The role-holder should have an interest in supporting all areas of the campaign and be prepared to develop a variety of skills in different areas. The candidate should have a strong interest in developing and protecting one of the nation’s best-loved brands and will be expected to support how that brand appears in public.
Key Challenges in Delivering the Role
To work within a fast-paced environment with a focus on a few different workstreams at any one time. To remain focused on key objectives even with multiple projects underway.
Relationships and Interfaces
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, this is a key support role for the Marketing team and also the Senior Designer. The candidate will also work with the wider marketing, content, communications and commercial teams on a day-to-day basis, including the Digital Strategy Manager and Digital Communications Manager.
External relationships will include any agencies we partner with for the Team GB marketing campaign, commercial partners, NGBs, athletes, agents, as well as digital and social media organisations.
- Three years’+ experience at a Marketing agency or within a marketing/ communication team.
- Experience with a recognised sport/entertainment brand, or within a relevant team or organisation
- Experience of working on a campaign including project management
- Client/partner management experience
- An understanding of the media landscape in relation to brand campaigns and activations, including, traditional, lifestyle, social and influencer media
- Understanding on how digital and social media is changing the way fans engage with sports and how its changed the way the media report on sports events and teams
- A desire to be a brand guardian for one of the nation’s best loved brands and to learn as required
- Experience of planning and implementing branding at events or activations
- PowerPoint skills, time management
- Good communication skills
- Experience of brand protection and implementation of brand guidelines
- Experience working with a designer/design team on branding projects
- Experience in delivering digital marketing strategy or social media/online communications strategy around major sporting events or sporting organisations/teams
- Understanding of the Olympics and a passion for sport
- Passion for and knowledge of technology and trends
- Please apply with your CV accompanied with a cover letter that highlights the specific and relevant skills and experience that you can bring to the role of Team GB Marketing Executive.
- Please include the reference ME19 in the subject line of your email.
- Closing date for applications is Tuesday 26th February 2019.
British Olympic Association (BOA)
The British Olympic Association’s (BOA) mission is to transform British lives through the power of the Olympic values and the success of Team GB.