Head of Finance
Reporting to: Executive Chairman
Remuneration: A competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Based in: Central Manchester.
Background: Rugby League is an intense, attritional, collision-based sport. Our players are athletic, skilful, brave, mentally and physically tough and positive human role-models. Our Clubs sit at the heart of proud, mainly northern communities that have rediscovered their confidence and ambition. Our sport has a proud, rebellious soul and is founded on family-based, inclusive values. Super League is the sport’s elite competition.
Seeking to apply a discrete focus on the performance of Super League, in June 2018, the Clubs appointed an Executive Chairman, and, in December 2018 secured a small, dedicated team to develop and present a rejuvenated Super League to broadcasters, the media, commercial partners and fans.
Within an existing limited company (Super League Europe Limited), the new organisation is tasked with securing commercial growth, largely from: a) broadcast rights; b) commercial partnerships; and, increased attendances at Super League events – the Grand Final and ‘Magic’.
In a short space of time, under ‘New Beginnings’, Super League has delivered meaningful and substantial changes to the competition to improve the product, deliver a statement of intent to stakeholders and showcase Super League’s most appealing attributes.
The team will shortly move into new offices in the Northern Quarter in Manchester.
Our needs: the company is now seeking a dynamic and ambitious Head of Finance to join the team at this exciting and pivotal moment in the sport’s history. The Head of Finance will join a small senior management team responsible for the growth of Super League.
The successful candidate will provide financial and statutory input into Super League’s key strategic and operational decisions and will directly support the Executive Chairman in the preparation of Board-level, internal and financial information.
The successful candidate; will be responsible for the preparation and presentation of annual budgets, relevant and timely financial reporting, cash flow management including distributions to Clubs, all statutory financial reporting and requirements, including the annual audit, company secretarial duties and all necessary and relevant accounting functions.
You will be an energetic, outwards-facing qualified accountant with a proven ability to deliver finance-related projects, manage cash flow such that Clubs are in receipt of funds at the earliest opportunity, and report to stakeholders in a concise, relevant format.
You will be required to:
1. Develop a concise, relevant, user-friendly reporting framework, including a robust, annual budget and key performance indicators.
2. Monitor, appraise and report the financial performance of the business, on a timely basis, over the course of the year.
3. Assist the Executive Chairman in the review and update of the mechanism for distribution of funds to Clubs and ensure funds are made available to Clubs at the earliest opportunity.
4. Support stakeholders and colleagues with the provision of user-friendly financial information to support decision-making.
5. Provide leadership and support to the finance functions at Clubs including the provision of training and development of best practice.
6. Develop and implement, review and maintain effective accounting controls and procedures to secure assets and ensure compliance with relevant legislation. To establish appropriate controls over expenditure and ensure the organisation manages and controls costs effectively and secures best value for money.
7. Prepare all statutory documents and manage the year-end audit.
8. Liaise with the organisations tax, legal and compliance advisors.
9. Provide company secretarial duties and ensure compliance with relevant statutory responsibilities.
The appointment may be made subject to a DBS check. If you are an applicant with a disability who meets the essential requirements of the job, we will interview you. We would be pleased to receive applications in alternative formats. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy, marital/civil partnership status or religious background. Super League (Europe) Limited is committed to equality through diversity.
Please submit your application by 22nd February 2019. Please note only candidates requested for interview will be contacted.