Operations Business Programme Manager
|Location||Wembley, London (Greater)|
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Events & Operations|
Closing Date: 06 January 2019
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams. We are also responsible for the management and development of our two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
The Stadium Operations Department is responsible for the day to day management of Wembley Stadium and the delivery of a varied & demanding event programme. The Stadium hosts major domestic & international football matches, rugby league, NFL, Boxing and major concerts. The Operations Department incorporates functions such as event management, crowd safety, security, ticketing, catering & hospitality, health & safety & transport planning.
Overview of the role
The role of the Wembley Operations Programme Manager is to provide structure, efficiency and integration within the Department and to assist in the delivery of key strategic projects. Working closely with both the Operations Director and the Head of Operations – Strategic Programmes, the role will encompass the following key elements:
- Business Management
- Programme Management
- Strategic Projects
- Business Improvement
- Liaison with Central Functions
- Providing ad hoc project delivery support across all Operational functional areas.
Key responsibilities include:
- Act as the conduit between the Operations Dept. and the FA Business Management function, ensuring that all departmental business planning requirements are met (finance, business planning & reporting, procurement, budgeting etc.)
- Develop and manage the departmental program plan, risks and issues, KPI’s and reporting
- Implement bi-weekly reporting process within Operations
- Track risks, issues and KPIs
- Identify and track project dependencies between Operational teams
- Act as Project Manager for strategic/cross-functional projects, assisting the management team to plan, drive and deliver projects on time, in budget and in line with strategic priorities.
- Identify key stakeholders internally and externally to kick off projects
- Conduct feasibility studies and cost benefit analyses for new projects
- Produce executive summaries, board reports and presentations
- Work with business operations and support functions to ensure the needs of the stadium are met across the wider business
- Work with all departmental managers to identify opportunities to review and improve BAU activities. Focus on operational planning, event management and financial spend.
- Assist teams to deliver operational efficiencies & service enhancement initiatives
- Project manage and lead improvement opportunities
Liaison with Central Functions:
- Act as a key departmental interface with Central functions (Finance, HR, Procurement, Business Management)
- Work with Commercial Finance team on budgeting, event forecasts, quarterly updates etc.
- Work with HR on workforce planning, training initiatives etc
- Work with Procurement to identify and plan for major departmental procurement projects
- Work with IT on licenses, requests for tech updates & innovations
- Work with Business Management on business planning, reporting, board updates etc
Governance and Communications:
- Assess and implement good governance structures within operations dept.
- Ensure the good work of the Division is being recognized internally.
- Communicate key messages to the organization
What we are looking for:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Formal qualification in project management such as Prince II or similar (is an advantage but not a necessity)
- Attention to detail and pride in the presentation of outputs
- Ability to write concise presentations and reports
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven skill in stakeholder management – both internal and external
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility where required
- Capable communicator with experience of dealing with sensitive and complex matters
- Previous project & programme management experience is essential
- Experience of managing large/complex projects
- Experience in a management consulting environment beneficial but not essential
- First-hand operational delivery experience beneficial but not essential
- An interest in events and venue management would be beneficial
- Experience working in sport, music, major events beneficial but not essential
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Microsoft Excel is a requirement
- Experience in using Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio is an advantage but not a necessity
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.
The Football Association (FA)
The Football Association was founded in 1863 as the governing body of the game in England. The FA is responsible for all regulatory aspects of the game of football in England.