Education Project Manager
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Contract Type||Fixed Term|
Fixed Term Contract: 12 months
Closing Date: 23rd November 2018
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
This role is responsible for planning, initiating and managing education based projects, ensuring they are successfully delivered on time, in scope, and within budget.
The role will manage multiple complex initiatives and follow the FA Project Management Methodology whilst leading the associated project teams. A key focus of the role will be to ensure delivery of a Learning Management System, which underpins the FA’s approach to delivering learning opportunities to the football workforce. It’s important that this system is scoped, designed and implemented effectively, collaboratively, on-time and on budget. This role will also work closely with internal FA Education, Digital Engagement and IT teams, contracted resources and business stakeholders.
FA Education unites the game by supporting coaches, referees, sports scientists, Talent ID professionals and medicine practitioners throughout their individual learning journeys. Our modern, insight-led approach to learning and delivery will help create a football workforce that improves the quality of the grassroots and professional game. The FA is on an exciting journey of digital transformation, and this role is critical in supporting The FA’s education team with their technology requirements.
- Manage multiple projects of different scales simultaneously. Ensure projects are delivered on time, in scope and within budget, and are in alignment with the overall Education Programme.
- Ensure a project has the resources required for effective and successful delivery. Manage and influence these resources; motivate and promote collaboration.
- Ensure any issues, risks and resolutions are communicated effectively and appropriately and all reasonable effort is taken to mitigate these.
- Work with the Digital Engagement and IT management team, and key stakeholders to develop and maintain various project/portfolio road maps.
- Ensure the scope, schedule and cost of a project is agreed, approved and communicated to key stakeholders before the project commences.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is maintained with regards to the project, specifically:
- Project Plan: Maintain time plans in Gantt chart formats, stating key milestones
- Maintain risk and issues logs
- Record meeting minutes, decisions and actions
- Track development effort and calculate velocity (points/days)
- Re-forecast delivery dates vs plan and communicate potential delays in a timely manner.
- Follow the project methodology appropriate for the project in hand (Agile/Waterfall).
- Ensure all projects follow standard change control processes and releases are communicated effectively & timely.
- Monitor and track project milestones and deliverables; ensure project KPI’s are regularly updated, particularly around time, scope, effort and budget.
- Produce monthly commentary for Stakeholders and project team.
- Ensure Education reporting requirements are updated on a monthly basis
- Produce standard FA Education status reports on a monthly basis.
- Provide regular communications to stakeholders and sponsors through standard meetings and reports.
- Communicate and seek approval of all requests for material scope or schedule changes.
- Manage relationships between Education and its suppliers or partners, ensuring they know and follow FA processes.
- Provide suppliers with a bridge into the FA Education function and ensure all issues are resolved
- Support the development and continuous improvement of Education policies, documentation and new project methodologies in order to continually enhance the overall service to the business.
- Represent Education on cross-functional project teams and promote collaboration and mutual understanding of project delivery.
What we are looking for:
- Undergraduate degree
- PRINCE2 or similar level project or programme management qualification
- Comfortable and competent with the big picture and translating this into operational plans
- Proven ability to work within complex or matrix structured organisations and galvanise people within non direct reporting structures
- Experience of strategic and financial planning and management
- Experience of successful project management in a variety of complex environments
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills. Presence and gravitas to work alongside senior managers.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills and proven ability to influence without authority
- MBA or relevant post graduate qualification
- Passion for elite sport and or football or Experience of working in an elite sports environment
- Track record of delivering project management training to diverse workforce
- Understanding of the importance and requirements to develop the next generation of coaches and young players
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or equivalent preferred.
- Learning management solution experience considered an asset.
- Training in change management considered an asset.
What we can offer you:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.
The Football Association (FA)
The Football Association was founded in 1863 as the governing body of the game in England. The FA is responsible for all regulatory aspects of the game of football in England.