|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Marketing & Communications|
World Rugby is the international federation for the sport of Rugby headquartered in Dublin. Driven by a strategic mission to grow the global rugby family, World Rugby is both a game regulator and a game inspirer. It is responsible for the regulation and governance of a sport that is experiencing record global participation and fan-base growth.
World Rugby also plays a major role in inspiring new audiences to engage with the sport and owns some of the world’s biggest and best-loved major sports events, including the men’s and women’s Rugby World Cups, Rugby World Cup Sevens and the men’s and women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.
We are looking for an experienced major events communications professional join World Rugby’s communications team as Communications Manager, 15s reporting to the Senior Communications Manager.
The team covers a broad remit to grow the sport’s audience base – incorporating external and internal communications, events, digital and social properties and content. The right candidate for this job will love sports event management, have an excellent understanding of media operations and rights activation, have excellent project management skills, a great eye for PR opportunities to further Rugby’s global profile as well as the creativity and organisational skills to execute impactful media campaigns proactively and reactively.
The role involves global travel, and we are looking for someone with energy and the ability to successfully integrate within tournament management teams and establish strong relationships with key stakeholders working in a dynamic environment.
- To design and manage the delivery of the PR and media operations programmes for World Rugby’s suite of 15s competitions, including Women’s Rugby World Cup, World Rugby U20 Championship and Trophy, the Nations Cup, Rugby World Cup qualifiers and the Women’s 15s programme with a strategic aim of fostering operational excellence and consistency and fan base growth.
- To effectively lead and integrate with external team and host event media operations teams, commercial partner agencies and other key stakeholders.
- To project manage World Rugby’s PR and media plan for 15s properties, including social, digital media and brand.
- To act as an on-call media officer, fielding media enquiries when required and provide strategic communications support to the Head of Communications and Senior Communications Manager
- To act as a Match Press Officer at Rugby World Cup 2019.
- To deliver skilful management of reactive PR issues and/or crises that contribute to the perceptions of the World Rugby and Rugby brands, including stakeholder communications programmes.
- To develop deliver stakeholder communications tools to ensure a unified approach across the game.
- To prepare media release and video news release strategies to ensure a joined-up approach across all properties and publish across World Rugby’s suite of digital platforms
Qualifications and Experience
- Business related degree e.g. Marketing, Media, Communications.
- 5+ years’ experience in a senior position in international media management
- Proven ability to lead and deliver media management programmes.
- Excellent understanding of social media.
- Solid understanding of sports media environment.
- Good working knowledge of rugby is preferable.
- Fluency in French or Spanish desirable.
- Key Skills and Personal Attributes
- Excellent ability to build solid working relationships
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong team player
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Communication skills.
- Project management.
- Crisis management.
- Influencing skills
World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union based in Dublin.