Head of Sponsorship
HEAD OF SPONSORSHIP
Who are we?
London Marathon Events Limited organises some of the biggest and best mass participation sports events in the UK including the Virgin Money London Marathon, the Prudential RideLondon festival of cycling and Swim Serpentine.
We are a not-for-profit organisation and any surplus we make is given to The London Marathon Charitable Trust to improve sports and recreation in the areas where we organise events.
Our company values are: Integrity, Excellence, Together, Inspiration and Fun.
Reporting and working closely with the Event Director, we are looking for a Head of Sponsorship to direct and implement a sponsorship strategy across the portfolio of London Marathon Events and London & Surrey Cycling Partnership events. You will be tasked with generating revenue, whilst observing the integrity of our events and the company values. You will be motivated to achieve maximum returns to ensure event sponsorship targets are met. You will create and deliver targeted pitches that will meet potential sponsor’s objectives and develop individually tailored sponsorship proposals.
With the number of events we organise set to increase, you will be required to find new sponsors and develop the relationship with existing sponsors.
You will lead on all sponsorship negotiations with brands and agencies, and have a proven record in closing of sponsorship deals.
You will proactively support sponsors in the development of activation activity; encourage collaboration between sponsors and provide vision for joined activation to promote the event and brands; you will elevate opportunities to attract media.
You will have first class account management and leadership experience, enabling you to develop and lead a team.
Key Accountabilities include;
* Meeting sponsorship targets
* Coordinating and managing all sponsor relationships and activities for our events
* Developing sponsorship strategies to attract and retain sponsors
* Mentoring, motivating and developing the team of a Sponsorship Account Managers, Business Development Lead, Head of Exhibitions and Branding Executive.
* Attracting and signing new sponsors for our current and new events
* Chairing sponsor meetings
Essential Skills and Experience
* Substantial experience in the sports sponsorship market
* An exceptional database of known contacts, in the sports, sponsorship and commercial sectors.
* Have a proven record in driving and developing sponsorship strategies to attract and retain sponsors; building effective communications strategies across all sponsors and key rights holders.
* A good understanding of social media networks and the importance of brands’ online presence
* Proven ability to offer first class account management
* Experience and understanding of the legal aspects of sponsorship contracts; ensure all sponsors understand their obligations as sponsors of our events.
* Experience in managing, inspiring and mentoring teams.
* Proven success in attracting new sponsors and managing sponsor relationships
* A good understanding of the sports market, competing events and the engagement of brands already committed to similar events; identify opportunities before others.
* Strong strategic, analytical and project management skills
* Excellent communication skills
* You will show exceptional forward planning; continuous development and implementation of sponsorship.
* Experience in chairing multi-stakeholder meetings
* Excellent attention to detail
* Proven ability in project and time management
* Proven experience of working on large sports events
* The ability to stay calm under pressure
You will have developed many high-level contacts in the sponsorship industry over a number of years, primarily in the corporate side. You understand the needs of sponsors and can match those with the opportunities offered by our portfolio of events. You will be able to guide the future direction of London Marathon events engagement with sponsors.
If you are successful, you will need to work weekends at all LME and LSCP events and share the values of the organisation.