Head of Sponsorship Sales
HEAD OF SPONSORSHIP SALES
London Marathon Events Limited organises some of the biggest and best mass participation sports events in the UK including the Virgin Money London Marathon, the Prudential RideLondon festival of cycling and Swim Serpentine.
We are a not-for-profit organisation and any surplus we make is given to The London Marathon Charitable Trust to improve sports and recreation in the areas where we organise events.
Our vision is Inspiring Activity and our company values are: Integrity, Excellence, Together, Inspiration and Fun.
Reporting and working closely with the Event Director, we are looking for a Head of Sponsorship Sales who is passionate about what we do. The purpose of the role is to direct and implement a sponsorship strategy across the portfolio of London Marathon Events and London & Surrey Cycling Partnership events. You will be tasked with generating revenue, whilst observing the integrity of our events, our vision and the company values. You will be motivated to achieve maximum returns to ensure event sponsorship targets are met. You will create and deliver targeted pitches that will meet potential sponsor’s objectives and develop individually tailored sponsorship proposals.
With the number of events we organise set to increase, you will be required to find new sponsors and develop the relationship with existing sponsors.
You will lead on all sponsorship negotiations with brands and agencies, and have a consistent track record in closing sponsorship deals.
You will proactively support sponsors in the development of activation activity; inspire teamwork between sponsors and provide vision for joined activation to promote the event and brands; you will elevate opportunities to attract media. The chosen candidate will be able to guide the future direction of London Marathon Events engagement with sponsors.
You will have first class account management and leadership experience, enabling you to develop and lead the team of Account Managers, Business Development Lead, Head of Exhibitions and Head of Event Branding.
Key Accountabilities include;
- Meeting sponsorship targets
- Coordinating and leading all sponsor relationships and activities for our events
- Developing sponsorship strategies to attract and retain sponsors
- Mentoring, motivating and developing the team of two Sponsorship Account Managers, Business Development Lead, Head of Exhibitions and Head of Event Branding
- Attracting and signing new sponsors for our current and new events
- Chairing sponsor meetings
About You - Essential Skills and Experience
You have developed many high-level contacts in the sponsorship industry over a number of years, primarily in the corporate side. You understand the needs of sponsors and can match those with the opportunities offered by our portfolio of events.
- Meaningful experience in the sports sponsorship market
- An extraordinary database of known contacts, in the sports, sponsorship and commercial sectors
- A consistent record in driving and developing sponsorship strategies to attract and retain sponsors; building effective communications strategies across all sponsors and key rights holders
- A deep understanding of social media networks and the importance of brands’ online presence
- Validated ability to offer first class account management
- Experience and understanding of the legal aspects of sponsorship contracts; ensure all sponsors understand their obligations as sponsors of our events
- Experience in managing, inspiring and mentoring teams
- Shown success in attracting new sponsors and handling sponsor relationships
- A good understanding of the sports market, competing events and the engagement of brands already committed to similar events; see opportunities before others
- Strong strategic, analytical and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate exceptional forward planning; continuous development and implementation of sponsorship
- Experience in chairing multi-stakeholder meetings
- Excellent attention to detail
- Shown ability in project and time management
- Experience of working on large sports events
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
If you are successful, you will need to work weekends at all LME and LSCP events and share the values of the organisation.
- A cover letter stating:
- why you are the right person for this role, and
- what you will bring to the role
- Your up-to-date CV
- Your salary expectations
The closing date for this role is Sunday 20 January 2019
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.