Established in 1914, the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) is the national sports association for football in Hong Kong. We are committed to enhancing football development in Hong Kong, achieve the highest possible standards of football at all levels, and further, heighten the governance of football. We organize football leagues, local and international competitions, provide coaching education/referee training courses, promote women’s football and futsal, deliver youth football development activities, all with the aim to promoting football development in Hong Kong. We seek to nurture quality performance of football players at different levels and enhance the competitiveness of Hong Kong Representative Teams to achieve a higher position in the FIFA rankings.
In recent years the HKFA has undergone significant change and the success of Project Phoenix has brought positive impact to all aspects of football development in Hong Kong. With a sound infrastructure in place as well as the additional funding support from the Government of the HKSAR and the Hong Kong Jockey Club in the creation of HKFA’s Five-Year Strategic Plan (2015-2020), we keep moving in the right direction for further football development.
Our future success depends on the diverse talent and performance of dedicated employees. We now call for applications to fill this position which is financially supported by the Home Affairs Bureau’s Arts and Sports Development Fund. The position is under the Technical Development Department in the organization structure of HKFA. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the appointee is accountable for the technical development of football in Hong Kong including the identification, articulation (football curriculum and coach education content) and implementation of consistent styles and systems of play, particularly at the elite level. The main duties are listed below.
Job Purpose and Overall Role of the Technical Director
The Technical Director will report to the Chief Executive and is accountable for the technical development of football in Hong Kong including the identification, articulation (football curriculum and coach education content) and implementation of consistent styles and systems of play, particularly at the elite level. This role which is responsible for maintaining a high-performance football culture will influence a whole generation of players and make a huge impact on the future performance of football in Hong Kong. The Technical Director will closely interface with the Head Coach and the Head of Football Development to coordinate a systematic football development continuum and pathways from beginner to elite high-performance football.
The job holder is accountable to the Chief Executive and the Board for the development, review, update and implementation of strategies aimed at continually promoting and improving elite football in Hong Kong.
This role is a key appointment as part of the plan for change and the delivery of the HKFA Football Development and Five Year strategy.
The Technical Director is part of the Senior Management Team of the HKFA.
- To report regularly to the Board, Technical Committee and CEO on high-performance football
- To research and provide advice on playing styles and to contribute to the development of coaching knowledge (football curriculum and coaching course content)
- To ensure that the HKFA has a clear and well thought through strategy for the development of football at all levels and to oversee its ongoing review and implementation in conjunction with the Head of Football Development.
- To advise the HKFA on all technical playing matters including devising the Hong Kong style and system of play' and to articulate this into a Hong Kong Football Curriculum.
- To continuously monitor best practice in technical matters and to communicate this to all football stakeholders.
- To work with and advise the Head Coach on performance systems and development programmes
- To work with the Head of Football Development to ensure that grassroots and youth development activities and programmes are dovetailed with high-performance systems and create seamless pathways for footballers to progress
- To oversee and directly supervise the work of the Academy Head Coach, Coach Education Manager, Elite Development Coaches, Women's Head Coach, Strength and Conditioning Coach and to ensure that they are implementing the Hong Kong style and system of play.
- To create and uphold a winning performance culture
- To build partnerships with other high-performance sports agencies in Hong Kong and internationallyincludingEAFF/AFC/FIFA
- To develop the key relationships internally and externally and to communicate effectively at all times with players, coaching staff, clubs, administrators, officials, parents, supporters and the media
- To ensure effective high-performance use of the Hong Kong Football Training Centre as a base for coach education and elite player development.
- To perform other duties and responsibilities as reasonably instructed by the CEO and or the Board
Profile, Skills and Experience
- The successful candidate must have proven experience and success in elite football development/management/coaching.
- In possession of current coaching qualifications (or experience) equivalent to: UEFA 'A' licence and/or FIFA 'Pro' licence
- Well developed leadership and management skills with a track record of creating a culture of high performance
- Evidence of Delivery of Coaching Programmes
Personal Characteristics and Profile
- The personal style and approach of the individual is critical. The person appointed must be passionate about football and be performance orientated.
- Key personal characteristics will include:
- A versatile and persuasive manager/coach
- Strong organisational skills
- An inspiring and persuasive character with excellent leadership skills
- A good communicator and motivator
- High personal ambition and drive
- Remaining calm under pressure
- High ethical standards
The successful candidate will be offered on a contract term employment. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Our employee benefits include Group Medical and Life Insurance to the right candidate.
Interested parties must submit the completed application form enclosing a full CV with details of current & expected remuneration to HR Section of HKFA by clicking "Apply" on or before 30 September 2018.
The completion of the application form is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to send this will mean that the application may not be considered.
The information provided by the applicants will be treated in strict confidence and will only be used for the purpose of considering your employment application.