Media Sales - EMEA
|Sector||Clubs & Teams, Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Business Development & Sales, Marketing & Communications|
The NBA's Media Distribution Team are looking for someone to drive revenue growth, identify new revenue streams and build strong relationships via content distribution, across all media platforms within Europe
The role is an integral part of developing all aspects of the NBA's media distribution business and will require a dedicated and passionate industry expert with a proven track record in media rights sales and meet strict targets.
The position will require conducting full lifecycle contractual negotiations from client presentations through to deal memo and contract negotiations for specific markets and projects. S/he will also be required to oversee the account management of specific broadcast partners to identify individual needs and provide marketing support, with the goal to establish NBA as a "must-have" content on our partners' platforms and to identify ways to improve and/or enhance our fan experience.
The role will also involve staying up-to-date on market developments and undertaking competition analysis. The candidate must have meticulous attention to detail and be able to present market intelligence and relevant findings in a structured manner to internal stakeholders.
This position requires articulate and persuasive oral and written presentation skills, as well as being motivated, energetic and resilient. You will be required to travel and work across multiple time zones while working in a highly pressured and complex matrix environment.
- Conduct detailed analysis and define the appropriate rights distribution strategy across television, digital and mobile platforms in each market of responsibility
- Prospect and target new customers and opportunities, as well as handling incoming leads
- Negotiation and execution of a full sales cycle with broadcast and digital partners; working closely with other functions within the media distribution team (e.g. programming, marketing), Legal, and other internal stakeholders
- Account management of broadcast partners; upselling of content, identifying and executing creative or new ideas and promotional plans to enhance or improve NBA's content exposure on partners' platforms
- Identify and commercialize new business models/opportunities for NBA content (e.g. OTT, news access, sponsor-supported programs and new genres such as lifestyle, kids and animation, reality programming)
- Work closely with Director of Media Distribution to meet and exceed aggressive revenue targets
- Execution of specific projects with other departments within NBA Europe and Middle East
Other key responsibilities:
- Support major regional events (e.g. NBA Global Games) by securing coverage and working on maximizing promotion with television and digital partners
- Keep up-to-date on market trends, new technologies, and competitive forces, and assess their impact on the NBA's business
- Construct, deliver and execute sales presentations and detailed market briefing materials in order to support and further develop the media strategy
- Maintain and nurture relationships with broadcast partners and relevant industry stakeholders
- Provide critical field input and maximize and uphold customer satisfaction amongst partners
Required Experience & Knowledge:
- A strong track record in media content sales. Experience in the channel and/or OTT distribution is a bonus
- A strong existing network of top-level media industry contacts within Europe
- Strong legal knowledge and capacity to manage complex contractual cycle and processes from deal memo creation to contract negotiation and execution
- Strong acumen for business development with the ability to identify opportunities, negotiate and close deals
- Ability to devise and implement sales strategies, supported by strong analytics and sound business judgement
- An understanding of both the traditional television landscape in Europe and of digital and emerging distribution platforms with an understanding of not only distribution models but also content offerings across genres
- Strong communicator with exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- 3-6 years of experience in television content and/or channel distribution at top rated media company, broadcaster, or sports league
- Experience in working on major rights deals or complex contractual negotiations is essential
- Proven media sales expertise and success in exceeding ambitious sales targets
- Proven hands-on account management skills
- Proven track record of developing new business as well as developing and fostering/building external and internal relationships
- Ability to work independently, as well as ability to work with others as part of cross-functional / matrix global organization
- Experience in working in international / multicultural environments is essential
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelors required, MBA preferred
- Fluency in one other European language is a bonus
The NBA’s entity that conducts the league’s business in Europe was formed in 1997 in Geneva, Switzerland. The NBA is committed to growing the sport, and stages regular-season games in partnership with FIBA, local federations and the Euroleague.