Medical Services Lead
An exciting opportunity to work with the dancers and senior leadership team of English National Ballet (ENB) to coordinate all science and medical provision. We are looking for someone with the right skill set and mix to set a clear strategy to support our dancers during injury prevention, treatment and rehabilitation and to be the main point of contact and information regarding all medical issues for the organisation.
- To lead, oversee, facilitate and manage the delivery of science and medicine to all the dancers of the company.
- To work with the senior leadership team and external consultancy to help to re-structure the delivery of science and medicine to the company.
- To provide direction and support to the clinical staff to implement a new structure and to maximise the health and fitness of the dancers.
- To provide direction and support to the Artistic Team around immediate medical management of injuries and long-term care and optimisation of health for dancers.
- To provide support to the senior leadership team to integrate the science and medicine team into the values and culture of the company.
- To support, develop, align and mentor the science and medicine team both in terms of technical and non-technical delivery.
- To lead and guide the operational management, administration, financial (budget) and statistical delivery of the science and medicine team.
- To lead and manage the operational delivery of science and medicine to effectively support and align to the key stakeholders within the company.
- To establish a meeting / service delivery structure that accounts for all clinical priorities, and still moves the department forward through tactical and strategic thinking.
- To specifically support and mentor the Clinical Lead Physiotherapist with their service delivery and requirements as outlined in their job description
- To establish and utilise an extended network of professionals who can provide external expertise around injuries and illness. To engage with said individuals on a regular basis to review and evolve the service delivery and provide external input and care to the dancers to maximise health within the company.
- To establish effective medical records, note keeping and clinical governance (minimal) standards as outlined by GDPR and CQC to ensure the highest standard of delivery is maintained at all times to the dancers in keeping with the professional standards of the science and medicine team members.
- To establish and ensure all clinical governance pathways are clear, are communicated to the wider team (leadership and artistic) and are transparent for the dancers. That these pathways are adhered to by all members of the science and medicine team.
- To liaise with other medical personnel, science staff and other support staff as required to ensure the highest standard of care of a dancer’s injury or illness and optimum rehabilitation and management, whilst always working within the CSP guidelines on patient confidentiality.
- To promote ethical and moral best practice to include, but not limited to, a prohibited substance free environment; and ensuring safeguarding and welfare of all dancers and staff at all times.
- To work with the Executive Director and Development team to help identify opportunities for funding.
- BSc in Physiotherapy or the equivalent
- MSc (or equivalent) in a relevant sports and exercise medicine or advanced neuromusculoskeletal physiotherapy field
- Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) or GMC registered
- Member of Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Current up-to-date Advanced Trauma care course
- Previous management and leadership roles, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading a medical team
Desired Clinical Experience:
- Previous experience of working within the performing arts
- Currently working in a high-performance environment
- At least 10 years clinical experience in high performance service delivery.
- Experience within injury audits
- Post-graduate qualifications in Strength & Conditioning, Physiology and movement science are a bonus.
- Experience of planning and travelling away with big teams to foreign medical environments.
- Proven operational leadership of multi-disciplinary performance team.
Desired Personal Attributes:
- Strong, empathic leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven team player
- Committed, dynamic & productive
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent management & people skills
- Demonstration of leadership skills
- Clean driving license
ENB brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience, creating new work and celebrating the classical repertoire, which is toured nationally and internationally. The Company currently has 67 dancers and its own orchestra, ENB Philharmonic. Under Artistic Director Tamara Rojo, ENB is thriving.
In 2019 ENB moves to a new state-of-the-art building at London City Island, Canning Town. The company will create a world-class dance hub with collaboration and learning at the core, continuing its mission to take ballet out to reach as many people as possible and extending this so that ballet is accessible to all. Central to the Company’s £36m investment are state-of-the-art rehabilitation and fitness facilities, including hydrotherapy pool, gym and Pilates studio.
In order to support the dancers and the artistic team in achieving this vision, ENB is looking to re-structure the delivery of science and medicine.
Location of Work
English National Ballet – London (Kensington, moving to Canning Town in 2019)
National and International touring support will be required
Hours of Work
Working hours will be as required to fulfil the role and its significant fluctuating demands.
The post-holder will be required to acknowledge this and work in a flexible manner to accommodate all requests where appropriate.
ENB has a number of employee benefits available including:
- Pension Scheme – entitlement to join the ENB pension scheme on successful completion of probation period. ENB contribute 7.5% of your plan earnings while employees contribute a minimum of 5% of monthly earnings. There is also life assurance equivalent to 2 x salary when employees enrol in this pension plan.
- Annual Leave - 6 weeks’ paid holiday plus statutory public holidays.
- Season Ticket Loan - eligible upon completion of a satisfactory probationary period.
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to purchase a bicycle and safety accessories to use primarily for travel to and from work. ENB pre-pays the purchase cost in full, which is then deducted from salary in instalments over a 12-month period. Savings are made on tax and NI.