Head of Finance
Responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient day-to-day financial management of the company.
This is to include all aspects of budgeting, forecast planning and reporting, together with responsibilities for the banking, invoicing, debt collection and creditor payments, tax, audit, cashflow and payroll functions of the finance department.
This role also manages the day-to-day human resources requirements of the company in conjunction with the HR consultant, as well as the management of the office environment.
Financial Reporting and Management
- Responsible for preparation and production of budgets, forecasting and management accounts together with cash flow forecasting and appropriate balance sheets.
- Work with the CEO to deliver the annual and four-year funding plans and associated applications.
- Lead on the financial monthly and year-end reporting processes including the preparation of monthly financial statements for the Board, funding authorities including Sport England and overseeing the annual external audit process.
- Oversee the preparation of the Audit Committee minutes and associated documents, ensuring they are prepared to the highest recognised standards. Responsibility to also include attendance at the audit committee meetings and when necessary Board meetings.
- Responsible for instigating, implementing and ongoing improvement of the company’s financial controls in line with best practice.
- Manage the company’s cash position, debtors / creditors and the banking function and relationship.
- Ensure the accurate maintenance and controls across all areas of the company’s purchasing, invoicing, payments and collections processes.
- Oversee the tax affairs of the company including as required compliance preparation and lodging of appropriate documents with HRMC and Companies House etc.
- Maintain the Fixed Asset register.
- Support the broader business in all aspects of financial management, tax planning and related affairs
- Continuous improvement of all financial operations processes.
HR / Payroll
- Oversee and management the day-to-day operations of the payroll and benefits function including ensure all payroll and expenses are processed accurately and to agreed timelines.
- Manage relationships with all key benefit providers including, but not limited to the pension provider.
- Assist the CEO in management of the HR function and liaise with the company’s consultant to ensure the HR needs of the company are met and practices remain up to date and in line with legal obligations and best practice
- Manage the office environment and associated contracts and ordering.
- Support as required in the delivery of the organisation’s strategic plan and Sport England funding programme.
- Assist the organisation’s regions and, where required, clubs / membership in delivering initiatives to enhance the organisation’s delivery of the financial functions to recognised best practice.
- Any other duties as reasonably required in order to meet the objectives of the organisation
- Possessing and recognised accountancy qualification with a minimum of five years’ experience in all aspects financial management and reporting.
- A track record in developing the financial processes and performance of an organisation with appropriate technical skills to deliver these requirements, and up to date with relevant best practice and legislation to ensure integrity of the financial function.
- Proven record in compiling and presenting accurate and up to date financial reports.
- Significant experience operating at a senior level, including financial reporting to Board of directors.
- Comfortable operating in a fast changing and dynamic environment with excellent people management skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Excellent use and understanding of the Sage programme and Microsoft (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Working in a sporting / public funded organisation.
- Experienced in the application process for public and charity funding.