Handicapping Data Analyst
The British Horseracing Authority is the governing and regulatory body for British Horseracing which ensures the continuing integrity and successful development of the sport. It is our role to act for and on behalf of the whole sport, ensuring that the highest standards apply on and away from the racecourse.
Our vision is simple: to build a brighter future for our sport, our horses and our people.
This new role is a fantastic opportunity for somebody with a genuine interest in the sport who is highly analytical, with strong mathematical skills, and is curious and inquisitive. Reporting directly to the Head of Handicapping, the successful applicant will be a key member of the handicapping team.
Duties will include the production and analysis of complex data to drive handicapping policy. Ongoing analytics will be undertaken to better inform and explain handicapping decisions. A key responsibility will involve producing data in an accessible format to be made available to wider audiences
We are seeking the following attributes and experience:
- An experienced SQL user, able to extract and analyse data from large databases;
- Comfortable carrying out analysis in Microsoft Excel, making use of nested formulae, pivot tables and conditional formatting;
- An ability to distil findings into easily digestible tables and charts, and display them in Microsoft PowerPoint;
- Proficiency in statistical programming languages such as R and Python would be an advantage;
- An interest in, and an understanding of, horseracing;
- A reliable and committed team player;
- The ability and attitude to contribute to the BHA’s vision to build a brighter future for our sport, our horses and our people.
As the needs of the business change this role will change accordingly, therefore this document should be viewed as guidelines which are subject to change.
A full training programme will be provided to the successful applicant, tailored to their own needs to support their understanding of handicapping.
We welcome enquiries from everyone and put great value on building diversity at the BHA.
If you feel you have the relevant skills and experience, please click apply below and complete our application form in order to be considered.
The closing date for applications will be Monday 30 April 2018.