|Sector||Media, Technology & Broadcast|
|Function||Marketing & Communications, Agency, PR & Communications, Brand Communications|
A Wanda Sports Holdings company, IRONMAN operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, Iron Girl®, IRONKIDS®, six of nine International Triathlon Union World Triathlon Series races, road cycling events including the UCI Velothon Majors Series, mountain bike races, premier marathons and other multisport races. IRONMAN’s events, together with all other Wanda Sports Holdings events, provide more than 680,000 participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. The iconic IRONMAN® Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN® brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Beginning as a single race, IRONMAN has grown to become a global sensation with more than 260 events across 44 countries.
For our IRONMAN Office based in London, United Kingdom, we are actively looking for a highly motivated
Communications Director (m/f)
The Marketing department of IRONMAN is tasked with generating and converting demand for IRONMAN’s portfolio of endurance events, affiliated brands and products, creating value for customers, and profitable growth strategies for the business.
The Communications Director is responsible for leading and evolving all Corporate Communications, Crisis Communications and PR efforts in the EMEA region. The Director will be responsible for regional strategies to grow the IRONMAN brands, as well as support the marketing and recruitment strategies at country and event level. The Director will work closely with athletes, celebrities, partners and the media to tell the inspirational and aspirational stories across all of our endurance brands in order to generate new athletes, improve retention and move athletes throughout the portfolio of brands.
The Communications Director brings critical thinking and initiative, strong leadership, project management skills, creativity, integrated thinking, organisation, teamwork and confidence to address every challenge and opportunity that presents itself. They will collaborate with the Marketing Leadership Team on regional and global strategies; as well as with the Local Marketing Managers to drive initiatives at a targeted level.
IRONMAN is an inclusive, dynamic workplace. We are looking to partner with individuals who like to roll up their sleeves, get creative, be passionate and find solutions to help meet or exceed all objectives.
- Create a strategic plan to drive breakthrough PR in EMEA and tell the brand stories in new, compelling ways
- Continually and aggressively pitch stories to both endemic and non-endemic press
- Liaise with and build relationships with celebrities and influencers
- Build and maintain a media list and media relationships
- Negotiate media deals in market
- Provide support and mentorship to Local Marketing Managers to build robust event-specific plans, enhanced with PR components
- PR leadership around landmark events, eg World Championships, including management of press events, development of media guides, pre/during/post race relationship management with key stakeholders, content management and distribution
- Monitor media to track progress and understand what’s working and what’s not working, continually optimize to maximize impressions
- Lead the development and distribution of well-written, on-strategy press releases through collaboration with cross-functional partners
- Work closely with digital team to create integrated content strategies utilizing multimedia assets, innovative techniques, and influencers
- Lead negotiations to secure photography production for all events
- Lead negotiations to secure multimedia coverage for all events
- Manage multiple agencies, including foundational briefing, clear direction and appropriate performance evaluation
- Lead development of Race Magazines for annual race season
- Act as key point in chain of command to mitigate crisis situations and respond to media inquiries as necessary
- Liaise with Licensees and provide guidance as necessary
- Develop ad hoc and long term growth strategies for IRONMAN, Cycling, Mountain Biking and Running
- Ensure strategies are tactically executed in a creative and timely manner and within expense guidelines
- Collaborate with multiple internal and external resources to drive engagement, program growth and incremental registrations per racing athlete
- Assist in annual budget preparation, management and forecasting. Prepare budgets and submit estimates for program costs as part of campaign plan development
- Collaborate with design team on marketing collateral; provide creative direction depending on audience and event collateral type
- Work closely with functional leads within Event Management, Marketing Services and Creative, Digital Marketing, Social Media, and email marketing
- Work within the Marketing Leadership Team on key strategies for the EMEA region, including close collaboration with the Digital, PR and Athlete Development disciplines
- Contribute to Best Practices that can be templatised and shared with the marketing team and race directors tor owned and licensed events
- Collaborate cross-departmentally to deliver EMEA regional goals, including working with Global Partnerships Team, Operations Team and Regional Directors
- Foster open communication between all IRONMAN Team Members
- Additional responsibilities to successfully deliver EMEA Marketing objectives, as they arise
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, public relations, journalism or related field
- 5 - 10 years marketing experience
- Crisis management experience
- Excellent strategic and analytical thinking capability
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, with the ability to advocate for change in any environment among peers, managers, executives, and outside partners
- Superior time management and prioritization skills, with the ability to fluidly transition between managing the work of others and being an individual contributor
- Possess a goal-oriented approach, with the desire and capability to track activities to business metrics and an overall plan. The successful candidate has a demonstrated desire to conceptualize, execute, and report on complex integrated marketing programs
- A passion for an active lifestyle is a plus
- Ability to work some weekends and non-traditional hours
- Ability to travel 25%+
- Multi touchpoint campaign implementation and management
- Project leadership
- Teamwork and collaboration
- A network of media contacts
- Crisis management and resolution
- Experience delivering a project against clear metrics
A contract will be made on the basis of a full time employment and for an indefinite time period. We are looking forward to receiving your application and CV including your salary expectations and your notice period.
Are you interested? Please apply via our website at
IRONMAN Limited are the organisers of IRONMAN events in the UK and Ireland.