Deputy Safety Officer - Fixed Term
Glasgow 2018 European Championships
Job Title: Deputy Safety Officer
#themoment is coming – be part of it!
Help to deliver a world-first, the first-ever combined European Championships. Glasgow 2018, the biggest sporting event to come to Glasgow and Scotland since the best ever Commonwealth Games, is looking for people to undertake a number of roles.
Glasgow 2018 will make its world sporting calendar debut from 2 to 12 August, bringing together six sports, over 11 days, into one incredible event.
Glasgow 2018 are looking to appoint Deputy Safety Officers to assist Event Safety Officers at Glasgow 2018 venues and events to ensure a high standard of safety and security is maintained. The Deputy Safety Officer may be on site during the sites build and de-rig to assist the Event Safety Officer during the operational period of the event. The Deputy Safety Officer may be allocated with one or more sites at which, they will assist the Event Safety Officer for the period of the Championships. Plans, policies and procedures will be developed and the Deputy Safety Officer will ensure these are followed on site as well as managing any new hazards or risks and investigating incidents and accidents as required. This role may require the Deputy Safety Officer to deputise for the Event Safety Officer at times and shall therefore require a close working relationship with Event Management Teams and Multi-Agency Partners. Weekend working will also be required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This person will be required to perform the following duties
- Liaison with and support of the Event Safety Officer
- Deputise as Event Safety Officer if required
- Support the Event Safety Officer with public safety assurance
- Provide professional Health and Safety advice and guidance to all Functional Areas
- Assist the Event Safety Officer in the management of stewarding contractors
- Ensure the safe management of the Venue
- Liaise with contractors ensuring their risk assessments and method statements are suitable and sufficient and monitoring compliance with these during site builds and de-rig
- Have an oversight and complete as required pre-gate opening checks, safety inspections as required
- Investigate all accidents, incidents and near misses on venue to ensure mitigations are put in place to prevent reoccurrence
- In the event of a major incident, work under the direction of the Event Safety Officer, Police Bronze and coordinate stewarding resources as required
- Ensure the venue complies with all venue operating plans, including appendices, policies and procedures
Skills and previous experience required:
Candidates must hold or be working towards a Spectator Safety Management Qualification to NVQ Level 4. It would be advantageous and desirable to be working toward and / or hold a NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent also. Candidates must have knowledge of current health and safety legislation and experience of its practical application in both in a large multi-disciplinary organisation and at major events. In-depth knowledge and practical experience of working to the guidelines detailed within The Purple Guide to Health, Safety and Welfare at Music and Other Events and the Green Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds.
If you require any further information please contact John Crooks, Senior SSM Manager on 0141 287 9833 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org