Sport & Development Director
|Sector||Federations & LOCs|
|Function||Coaching & Sports Development, Events & Operations, Academy, Community & Development, Event Planning & Competition Management, Legacy & Sustainability|
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) is seeking to appoint a Sport & Development Director who is ready to enter the fast-paced world of hockey and demonstrate the FIH core values of being inclusive, optimistic, progressive and dynamic.
With 137 member National Associations and millions of fans around the world, hockey enjoys a strong global profile and following. You will become part of a talented team aiming to build upon this exposure with a mission to grow the game globally through targeted development work as part of FIH’s dynamic 10-year ‘Hockey Revolution’ strategy.
With further game-changing developments in the pipeline, including the introduction of a new portfolio of events in 2019, it is certainly an exciting time to be joining the FIH.
The successful applicant will lead the Sport and Development team, reporting directly to the FIH CEO. The Sport & Development Director is responsible for the delivery of all the sport and technical aspects of high quality international events that achieve the FIH objective of being a high performing sport and enhancing the sport’s reputation in the eyes of existing and potential sponsors, media, TV and the fans. This includes management of the rules and regulations of hockey, event planning & delivery, umpires & officials, the anti-doping and anti-corruption programmes, athletes, facilities and equipment. The Sport & Development Director also oversees the FIH’s coaching, high performance and Academy programmes to assist in the education and development of hockey.
As part of the FIH Leadership Team, this role is to contribute to achieving the strategy and ambition of the FIH and for hockey globally, in accordance with FIH values. Responsible for the setting and achievement of measurable objectives and goals for the Sport Department, ensuring robust tracking and evaluation systems and providing regular progress reports to the CEO and the FIH Executive Board, developing short and long-term plans and budgets for the department. The Sport & Development Director will enforce governance policies in hockey and uphold the values of the Olympic movement at all levels of the sport.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Activities:
- Planning and delivery of all technical and competition aspects of FIH Events, in conjunction with the Events Department
- Oversee the process of approvals for sanctioning events and tournament match schedules, as well as competition schedules
- Provide technical guidance and approvals for competitions requirement for the overall FIH event portfolio, the Olympic Games, YOG and other multi-sport Games
- Provide a leadership role on the Hockey Pro League Management Panel
- Oversee FIH’s anti-doping programme including both in-competition and out-of-competition testing in line with WADA included management of RTP
- Work with the Head of Legal Affairs to put in place initiatives and educational programmes to combat match fixing/manipulation (including working with IOC’s IBIS programme)
- Develop, implement and evaluate all the operational plans for:
- Athletes Committee
- Competitions Committee
- Officials Committee
- Rules Committee
- Health and Safety Panel
- Oversee and develop the technical aspects including rules, regulations and venue specifications for existing and formative disciplines of hockey including: Indoor, Beach, Hockey5s, Parahockey, Masters
- Maintain and enhance the global spread of the Quality Turf Programme
- Create a network of global expertise in facility development and oversee the accredited laboratory programme to ensure good governance and compliance
- Initiate and monitor FIH’s development policy, including the FIH Academy, global projects, targeted assistant programmes, educational and coaching initiatives
Requirements, Education and Experience:
- 10+ years direct experience in a similar role, hockey experience essential
- Appropriate tertiary qualification
- Extensive knowledge of sport logistics, governance and operations
- Experience in running large international sport events
- Experience in managing relationships across cultures and geographies
- Fluent in English, other languages a plus
- Ability to travel extensively
Skills and Knowledge:
- Leadership qualities, with character and a sense of humour and well presented
- Capable of setting high standards of professionalism
- Strategic thinker, capable of contributing to the big picture
- High level of honesty and integrity, discrete and ethical
- Highly organized approach to work, ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence
- Strong negotiation, conflict management and problem-solving skills
- Provide managerial and administrative leadership, capable of building a high performing team
- Good understanding and appreciation of the world of international sport
The position is full-time, based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Travel required.
Start date 1st January 2018 or TBD.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please send CVs to email@example.com by 16th October 2017.
The FIH is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.
International Hockey Federation (FIH)
The International Hockey Federation, commonly known by the acronym FIH is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey.