Operations and Logistics Coordinator
The Clipper Round the World Yacht Race is run by Clipper Ventures based in Gosport, UK. It is the only yacht race which has non-professional crews sailing a fleet of identical, internationally sponsored yachts around the globe. Led by a professional skipper, many of the crew have little or no sailing experience until they start their training.
First run in 1996, the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race is the brainchild of renowned yachtsman, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, the first man to sail solo non-stop around the world. He wanted everyone to be able to experience the sheer exhilaration of ocean racing which, until then, had been the preserve of professionals and the privileged. Well over 4,000 people have now competed in the ten Clipper Races, the circumnavigators becoming members of an elite group of sportsmen and women: more people have climbed Everest than have raced around the world in a yacht.
The Clipper Race embodies a unique blend of sporting, human and commercial values. The crew from all over the world are central characters in the unfolding drama. All have their own captivating story and reasons behind their decision to leave their ordinary lives to compete in the Clipper Race – the challenge of a lifetime.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The total number of crew that takes part in each race is over 700 and Clipper Ventures is recruiting a suitably qualified, experienced and motivated person to assist the Operations & Logistics Manager and members of the Race Office Team in the UK and on overseas stopovers in the preparation for and during the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
The Clipper Race runs on a two-year cycle. This means that each year there is a race start or a race finish. During the race, which lasts approximately 12 months, the yachts stop at as many as 16 or 17 locations around the world.
When the race is running, the Race Team travels to the various stopovers around the world, arriving a few days before the yachts to prepare for their arrival and leaving a few days after the yachts to finish any outstanding tasks.
During the intervening year when the race is not running, the Clipper Race Team are preparing for the next race including re-fitting the yachts, training crew, seeking supplier and city sponsors and selecting skippers.
SKILLS / CHARACTERISTICS / EXPERIENCE
- Highly organised and self-motivated
- Punctual, reliable and committed
- Excellent attention to detail
- Enthusiastic, energetic and not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Flexible and willing to have a go at anything
- Able to work on own initiative
- Capable of working on your own and as part of a team
- Positive can-do attitude
- Friendly and approachable
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Resourceful and resilient
- Excellent IT skills (databases, MS Office, etc.)
- Presentable in front of crew, race partners and other stakeholders
- Able to work under pressure and when tired
- Willing to travel, work away from home for up to 8 weeks at a time, work long hours, weekends and bank holidays
- Full, clean driving license
- Have an understanding and experience of sailing, sailing yachts and their crew (desirable)
- RYA Power Boat Level 2 qualification (desirable)
Due to the nature of the race it is impossible to specify every task that the successful applicant will undertake during the race and in the intervening year.
Basic tasks shall include, but are not limited to;
- UK based
- Assist with all pre-race preparations for the Race Office
- Assist with clothing stock management and distribution in build up to the Clipper Race
- Participate in watch system providing cover 24/7 to the yachts whilst racing
- Input of race data
- Processing of Race Crew satellite communication requests
- Coordinate all deliveries and organise multiple storage units
- Updates to Race Viewer
- Transport bookings
- General assistance to all departments
- Overseas during race stopovers
- Assist with set-up of all in-port branding
- Assist with set-up and preparation for corporate and sponsor sailing
- General driving duties
- Race administration - immigration / customs / incident reporting / victualing
- General assistance in stopovers (gas bottle runs / berthing requirements / delivering spares / transporting sails, etc.)
- Media Team
- Downloading media content from each yacht in stopovers.
- May be required to support other divisions and functions of Clipper Ventures Plc not specifically stipulated within this description.
- Any other task, that the line manager reasonable specifies
WORKING HOURS, TRAVEL AND WORKING ABROAD
By its very nature, whilst the race is running this role will require extensive worldwide travel, a considerable amount of time working abroad and the need to work unsociable hours / days including some nights, weekends and bank holidays when in the UK and abroad.
The successful applicant may be expected to attend all the race stopovers over a 12-month period and may be asked to do additional travelling in the case of unforeseen circumstances. Typically, this will mean working abroad for up to 8 weeks at a time and spending approximately 8 – 9 months during the 12 months’ race period away from home. Potential candidates are asked to seriously consider if this is practical for them before applying.
ELIGIBILITY TO DRIVE IN THE UK AND OVERSEAS
The role will involve regular hire and driving of cars, vans and people carriers both in the UK and overseas. For this reason, you must be 25 or over and hold a full, clean driving license.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your C.V. and covering letter via the 'Apply' button below.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017.
You must be available to attend an interview at our Gosport headquarters on 7 or 8 November 2017.
Ideally the successful candidate will be able to start on or before the 9th December 2017.